PDA

View Full Version : Mellon Madness!

is4fun
05-10-2008, 16:43
Those of us who have lived and continue to live in Russia know this is the season of the mellon. To the Germans it is beer, to the Russians, mellons! All kinds of mellons can be found on the streets of Moscow and other cities. But WTF? Am I the only one here that has noticed that they are way more expensive than last year? The torpedo mellon is a favorite of mine. 80 rubles per kilo? OUCH! Any insight as to why they are sooo expensive given they are grown in a country where the average wage is no more than a few dollars a day?

w.meijerink
05-10-2008, 17:31
Those of us who have lived and continue to live in Russia know this is the season of the mellon. To the Germans it is beer, to the Russians, mellons! All kinds of mellons can be found on the streets of Moscow and other cities. But WTF? Am I the only one here that has noticed that they are way more expensive than last year? The torpedo mellon is a favorite of mine. 80 rubles per kilo? OUCH! Any insight as to why they are sooo expensive given they are grown in a country where the average wage is no more than a few dollars a day?

Mellons and Wodka a good combination, but why do you pay 80 rubles per kilo?

Visit a small magazine somewhere in the country and you find them for 40-45 rubles a kilo.

Bon apetite