PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner teething problems...

britpat1
03-10-2008, 07:34
Yes again I find myself in that situation where I have a cleaning lady (lovely lady as she is) which seems to spend more time faffing around my place. I do give her more than enough time to do everything, I used to do it all in way less time.

Last week I left her alone in the home for the first time. I then came home after a 7 hour long day to a semi-clean house - although the ironing was done!

I know that she is a God send and good cleaners are hard to come by - I want to hold on to this one. However, something tells me I am the soft foreigner who can be taken a little advantage of.

I'm going to have a chat with her today, I do not want to come down too hard on her, it is a huge place but... I want to set the record straight...

Any advice, suggestions...?

MissAnnElk
03-10-2008, 08:05
Don't hold your breath.

If you feel confident that you have given clear instruction, don't expect change. I have never had a cleaning lady situation improve. Either they arrive as a jewel, or they don't. I have seen it all and could write a book (http://bratislavababy.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_archive.html) on my nightmare experiences.

There ARE plenty of good people out there. If you aren't happy, don't torture yourself. Sack her.

britpat1
03-10-2008, 11:01
I've been through more cleaners than Liz Taylor has husband's! I'm trying to hold onto one. I know what you mean exactly. I'm losing my patience with this one....

AndreyS
03-10-2008, 11:30
Don't hold your breath.

If you feel confident that you have given clear instruction, don't expect change. I have never had a cleaning lady situation improve. Either they arrive as a jewel, or they don't. I have seen it all and could write a book (http://bratislavababy.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_archive.html) on my nightmare experiences.

There ARE plenty of good people out there. If you aren't happy, don't torture yourself. Sack her.

Very wise. I totally agree, it's my attitude as well. It's impossible to re-do people. Either they suit you or you sack them. Law of life in general, not only about cleaners.

MissAnnElk
03-10-2008, 13:13
Very wise. I totally agree, it's my attitude as well. It's impossible to re-do people. Either they suit you or you sack them. Law of life in general, not only about cleaners.

The same thing applies with bosses and lovers: if, after six months, you aren't happy, it ain't gonna get better. Say goodbye.

AndreyS
03-10-2008, 13:21
The same thing applies with bosses and lovers: if, after six months, you aren't happy, it ain't gonna get better. Say goodbye.

But, Ann! To me, it's much more difficult to reject your lover or friend.
You can be cold-blooded with your employees, as what you need of them is just work. But when it comes to love or friendship, it goes deeper, to your heart...

MissAnnElk
03-10-2008, 13:44
But, Ann! To me, it's much more difficult to reject your lover or friend.
You can be cold-blooded with your employees, as what you need of them is just work. But when it comes to love or friendship, it goes deeper, to your heart...
Well, friends we love because they are friends. We learn to work around their foibles and short comings, to love them because they love us, because we have a history.

By lovers, I don't mean spouses or lovers of the long-term kind. I mean in the first six months of a relationship. It's like the Jake Johanson joke (he's an American comedian I like): "I love you . . . now please CHANGE!?"

If he never puts the socks in the dirty laundry basket, he won't change because you ask. Just pick up the dumb socks yourself, or don't, but don't complain about it because that won't change. Pick what you can live with, but if what is important to you isn't there, it never will be.

Doesn't mean you can't be friends with former lovers. I think it's best to redefine the relationship (i.e. break up) before you hate each other if you can. If you liked them well enough to try dating this person, there must be something there, right?

Gee . . . such serious stuff. It's lovely outside. Everyone OUT!

Hawk
03-10-2008, 14:27
Try finding a maid that does not ruin your clothing when they iron...... ????

Taken me 6 years to have found one thats really good, ... i pay her double Just to keep her doing a good job,, !!!

Yep the ones who hang around late, often have done their own clothes in your washing machine and do yours last....

They all say they can Iron clothes,,, but they dont say how well :)

I agree with other post, if you not happy and after a good talk, there's no change - find another maid.

britpat1
03-10-2008, 18:09
Thanks for the advice everyone. I

I had chat to her today. I told her to pull her socks up or else. Seems to have done the trick.

I'll keep an eye on her next week..