PDA

View Full Version : Long (really long) layover at Sheremetova . . .

elis
30-09-2008, 22:26
So. I'll be returning from the States on Oct. 18 and have nine hours --yes!! you got it nine long hours--to kill at Sheremetova.

The question is, if you're "in transit" but have a valid up-to-date visa, can you "un-transit"? (Meaning can I leave the dang airport?)

If I have to spend 9 hours in Poopymetova, I think I might as well shoot myself now.

J.D.
30-09-2008, 22:31
Sure, but by the time you get through immigration and customs and then to the center it will be time to head back so you will have time to check in and go through security before boarding.

Transparent Theatre
30-09-2008, 22:40
Sure, but by the time you get through immigration and customs and then to the center it will be time to head back so you will have time to check in and go through security before boarding.

Although you could at least walk over the Novotel and have a nice lunch :)

elis
30-09-2008, 22:44

Optimism. Optimism. That's what I'm looking for. :) It'll be Sunday. How bad can the traffic be? I don't need to get all the way to the center. Just someplace that isn't the airport.

Novotel?? Don't know it. Directions please?

AndreyS
30-09-2008, 22:48

Definitely so.

Imho, time flies in transit zones of airports. No sooner had you started Internet surfing than it's time to go board. ;-)

Novotel is 100 m from the main airport building.

J.D.
30-09-2008, 22:49
Didn't you know? The airport is the best part of Moscow. When you're leaving that is.

How's that for optimism?

elis
30-09-2008, 23:03
Definitely so.

Imho, time flies in transit zones of airports. No sooner had you started Internet surfing than it's time to go board. ;-)

Novotel is 100 m from the main airport building.

Time flies?? Nine hours?? Come join me and we'll count the minutes together!! :)

I won't have my laptop, so no surfing allowed. But Novotel, 100 m away? Don't know anything about it, but sounds like I might check it out.

Didn't you know? The airport is the best part of Moscow. When you're leaving that is.

How's that for optimism?

Oh . . . I don't about that. My last time out was stressful beyond compare. But that's just because I thought my dog and I weren't going to make it out together.

annasophia
01-10-2008, 07:19
It is my understanding that if you're in transit and without a transit visa, you are altogether prohibited from leaving the airport.

Could be wrong, but worth looking into.

Scrat335
01-10-2008, 09:37
If I have to spend 9 hours in Poopymetova, I think I might as well shoot myself now.

If you allow time for all of the security checks you should be able to get downtown, if you know the transit system. Get on the new train or catch the bus to Rechnoy Metro station, northern most station on the green line. Once on the metro you can get just about anywhere fast.

When are they going to be done with the new airport?

elis
01-10-2008, 10:20
It is my understanding that if you're in transit and without a transit visa, you are altogether prohibited from leaving the airport.

Could be wrong, but worth looking into.

But I've got a valid one year multi-entry visa--that's why I thought I could leave and come back. Although I guess it wouldn't surprise me, if being "in-transit," I would need a "transit visa" instead. Hmmmm . . .

boscoe
01-10-2008, 10:32
if you have a visa surely it's just like having two flights... one into the country (for which you have a valid visa) and then out again (you just don't have to check in for the second as you will already be checked in...)

elis
01-10-2008, 10:40
if you have a visa surely it's just like having two flights... one into the country (for which you have a valid visa) and then out again (you just don't have to check in for the second as you will already be checked in...)

That's pretty much what I was thinking. But we all know the bureaucratic rigamaroles :rules:, so I was just double checking...

I think I will go for it. :) Thanks all!

Transparent Theatre
01-10-2008, 10:43
But that's the question... Aeroflot do not always check you in for the second sector automatically, even if they check the bags through to the end-destination. So trying to persuade them to ensure you are checked in for the second sector would be very desirable - and also avoid having two hours shaved-off your layover time, by forcing you to return to the airport earlier.

BeachBum
01-10-2008, 14:12
So. I'll be returning from the States on Oct. 18 and have nine hours --yes!! you got it nine long hours--to kill at Sheremetova.

The question is, if you're "in transit" but have a valid up-to-date visa, can you "un-transit"? (Meaning can I leave the dang airport?)

Dont let all the old folks here scare you.

Yes you can 'Untransite"/ you ahve a valid entry visa. So its simple. ENTER.

And yes 9 hours is more than enough time. it only takes a little over an hours to get into the center on the bus and metro via Rechnoi Vokzal metro. Then you can shoot right down to Tverskaya and check out the chicks for 5 hours. then you got 3 hours do get back and do all the customs stuff. Which is nothing anyways. I usually arrive 60-90 minutes ahead of a flight and its more than enough. Enjoy the skirts!

elis
01-10-2008, 14:27
Dont let all the old folks here scare you.

Yes you can 'Untransite"/ you ahve a valid entry visa. So its simple. ENTER.
Thanks!! :)

. . . check out the chicks for 5 hours. . . . Enjoy the skirts!

:eek: I do hope you have me mistaken with somebody else!!

Last time I checked . . . I was hetero. :mooooh: No skirt chasin' here.

:)

MissAnnElk
01-10-2008, 14:33

Trying and failing to make some witty remark here.

AndreyS
01-10-2008, 14:38
Still heavy traffic jams happen on the way from Shere to Rechnoy and back. Take it into account. As well as hustle and bustle of the city. To me enjoying yourself at Novotel or elsewhere not far from the airport sounds better than being dependent on traffic jams...

Orion
01-10-2008, 14:50
Trying and failing to make some witty remark here.

Perhaps you might follow the line that her hetero status would only be questioned if she 'caught' a skirt...until then it is no different than admiring the Winged Victory of Samothrace or Venus di Milo...everyone does it.

MELODY
01-10-2008, 15:04
Perhaps you might follow the line that her hetero status would only be questioned if she 'caught' a skirt...until then it is no different than admiring the Winged Victory of Samothrace or Venus di Milo...everyone does it.

be honest, now. has "LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH" ever REALLY worked? (thoughts become words, words become deeds.....)

so, maybe she should just focus on the hot russian MEN. oh--wait! did i just say, "hot russian MEN"? sorry. hope floats!

Gypsy
01-10-2008, 16:17
Thanks!! :)

:eek: I do hope you have me mistaken with somebody else!!

Last time I checked Elis was female, feminine and not noticeably a skirt-chaser.

boscoe
02-10-2008, 00:49
I could step in, but nine hours.... I'll need at least an hour for lunch and at least two 15 min breaks.

Albertina
02-10-2008, 01:01
Elis, you are trying to plan the time that you might never have. Nowadays it#s a big assumption that planes arrive on time....

Sheremetyevo is of course a total bummer... there is no single good spot there. Maybe TGIF to some extent, but not for 9 hours...
Jeez, do you want me to come over and make a company for you?! Maybe compared with this possibility, staying in the restricted area for 9 hours on eating dry sandwiches and drinking Russian Beer does not look so bad after all :vampire:

elis
02-10-2008, 07:39
Elis, you are trying to plan the time that you might never have.

Great line, Alb!!

Jeez, do you want me to come over and make a company for you?! :mml:

Party at Sheremetova!! Yu-hoooo!!! :celebrate:
Now that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!! :neiner:

Scrat335
02-10-2008, 07:58
With the prices at the airport who would want to stay there anyway? Its freaking theft. 4 or 5 hours is enough time to see Tushino and find a good place to eat a Baltika or 2. Lots to do other than staying.

I hate airports, I had a bad time in Heathrow once shortly after I met my wife. We were going to meet in Warsaw Poland. My flight was late arriving from NY (and they were all screwed up) and I ended up staying 8 hours there waiting for a flight. My wife spent 18 hours at F Chopin in Warsaw waiting for me.

The worst incident was when the German customs authorities would not let me board the plane to Moscow. Page 6 was torn it the passport, PAGE 6!! I don't know what had happened to the old goat that morning, maybe she didn't get any tube steak but she labeled the passport as "compromised" or something and I was not allowed to go. Everything else was in order and even the Aeroflot representative said that it was valid.

I spent 23 hours in Frankfurt airport (with some terroristic thoughts on my mind) in a fury, my poor wife ran from Dedomodevo to Shremetyevo twice that evening thinking that there was some mix up, some screwup. I tried to call but couldn't get her. I never spent a cent there, since then I have never entered Germany, used Lufthansa or bought any German products. I never will if I can help it. :voodoo::bomb: