PDA

View Full Version : Economic crimes

MamaMIA
12-07-2004, 16:56
Dear wise Sirs,

Can you please recommend a good book on economic crimes. It should be in English and available to be purchased.

Thank you in advance.

GreatArcticBear
12-07-2004, 17:13
1) "My Life" by Boris Berezovsky :) :) :)

2) "How to make billions the old fashioned way - and wind up in a jail cell" by Mikhail Khodorkovsky :) :) :)

Seriously, though, if the book by the late Paul Klebnikov regarding Berezovsky (Godfather of the Kremlin) is available here, it may be of interest to you.

MamaMIA
12-07-2004, 19:12
Thanx a lot!
Very kind and funny of you!

Sadie
12-07-2004, 19:16
u'd at least specify whether u need a book on russian criminal law or economic crimes in general;)

MamaMIA
12-07-2004, 19:34
It doesn't really matter. That's why I didn't specify IT. Everything will be taken into consideration.
Regards,

GreatArcticBear
12-07-2004, 23:02
Unfortunately former aluminum thug Anatoly Bykov is illiterate or I would also be able to recommend his autobiography ;) ;) ;).

Again, seriously, I think there is another book out there on the privatization racket - perhaps your best bet is to go over to Anglia and browse their (sparse but specific) selection. Then, there is always Amazon.

jules
13-07-2004, 14:55
There's a good book called Sale of the Century about the privatisation of Russian state holdings and economic development here in the early 90s... It doesn't focus so much on the crime issue, but it's still a useful read.

Sadie
13-07-2004, 19:00
depends on what you need it for
I used the Library of Foreign literature when wrote my thesis, they have a pretty decent collection of books on law questions from the States and the UK. Am positive the've got smth on the Economic crimes. Plus it's free.
The other option - is to buy smth in a bookstore, the best variety of stuff in my opinion has the Dom Knigi in the New Arbat str. Take a look there. But the original books (i mean imported) will be quite expensive.
If you need Russian legislation in English on the topic, I can send you. Maybe even for free. :) ;)

GreatArcticBear
13-07-2004, 20:36
Sale of the Century might be what I had in mind.

Random
13-07-2004, 20:54
Try Barbarians at the Gate ...more about corp greed than economic crime ..but fun all the same

Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of Rjr Nabisco: Amazon.co.uk: Bryan Burrough, John Helyar: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HKPA1XJKL.@@AMEPARAM@@51HKPA1XJKL

MamaMIA
14-07-2004, 17:24
Dear All,
Thanx a lot for the recommendations, I am searching...

pengwn9
30-07-2004, 11:38
I have a copy of "Godfather of the Kremlin, Boris Berezovosky and the Looting of Russia". Before I even finished reading the introduction I was mumbling to my husband how I hoped the author lived in a deep dark cave somewhere far away, for his own safety. By page 6 he had made so many dangerous criminal accusations I feared for his safety. At the time I hadn't noticed the authors name, Paul Klebnikov. So I flipped open the book jacket to see who was the man bold enough to print such incendiary material.

Wow. When I saw the photo I realized it was the same guy from Forbes who was gunned down a few weeks back in front of his apartment. Was he brave or insane? To write such a book and carry on in Moscow?

This book is a must read. I'm not sure if he died for a good cause or not. Is simple truthful journalism a reason for martyrdom? Could he have been more valuable if he said less and remained alive?

Get this book. Read it. It cost the man his life.

nouxiousss
31-07-2004, 03:18
Here’s a list of books.

USSR: The Corrupt Society: The Secret World of Soviet Capitalism – Konstantin Simis
Stealing the State: Control and Collapse in Soviet Institutions – Steven Solnick
Winners Take All: The Politics of Partial Reform in Postcommunist Transitions – Joel Hellman
Russia After Communism – Aslund and Martha Brill Olcott
The Road From Serfdom: The Economic and Political Consequences of the End of Communism – Robert Skidelsky

There’s also some really good articles “The Four Faces of Mother Russia” – Vladimir Shlapentokh in Transitions, October 1997
and Who Lost Russia? – John Loyd in The New York Times Magazine, august 15, 1999.

MamaMIA
02-08-2004, 18:04
Dear All,
Thank you for the references, thay are very valuable
Regards,