PDA

View Full Version : Question about personal goods duties

BillFloyd
26-09-2008, 17:24
I had about 200 lbs of personal goods shipped from Chicago, IL to Moscow using DHL. The value of the goods listed in my proforma was around $3500. I probably should have listed everything as less but hindsight is 20/20. The shipment consisted of basically all used clothes and an XBOX. The boxes I shipped are now sitting in customs and DHL is telling me that customs wants over $680 in duties and all kinds of paperwork to release my packages. I did not anticipate this. Does this sound right to everyone? Do you know where i can go online to print out something to show customs or DHL that the charge is incorrect.

Thank you

elis
26-09-2008, 18:54
Doesn't sound strange, I can tell you that much. I'm going through the same thing right now (in Armenia). Do you speak / write Russian so you can get through all the red tape on your own? If not, I'd find someone who can help walk you through it all. But yes, from everything I know, you'll need to cough up the dough and fill out reams of paperwork.

Maybe someone else has had different experiences....

Penguin_The_Great
28-09-2008, 05:42
Bill, the Customs people are actually correct. Moreover, $680 is not that bad, believe me! Customs duties on personal goods in Russia are normally about 4 Euros per kilogram. If you have 90 kg (200 pounds) that's 364 Euros. If you use DHL or other courier services, the cost of shipping is also taxable, as unfair as it sounds.
So, they are actually giving your a break if my math is correct. There's nothing you can do but pay the duties. Even if you declared lower value, it probably wouldn't help because unless you have receipts, it's ultimately up to the Customs officers to determine the value of your package.

We will be doing the same thing soon - DHLing our personal stuff to Russia. So I'm extremely interested about that extra paperwork that the Customs want to release your packages. Bill, could you please explain? Thanks!

quandary
12-01-2009, 15:08
I had about 200 lbs of personal goods shipped from Chicago, IL to Moscow using DHL. The value of the goods listed in my proforma was around $3500. I probably should have listed everything as less but hindsight is 20/20. The shipment consisted of basically all used clothes and an XBOX. The boxes I shipped are now sitting in customs and DHL is telling me that customs wants over $680 in duties and all kinds of paperwork to release my packages. I did not anticipate this. Does this sound right to everyone? Do you know where i can go online to print out something to show customs or DHL that the charge is incorrect.

Thank you

Well, well, you should think & ASK before you send something somewhere.

A few years ago, my sister needed some bicycle repair tools. She went to ebay and found exactly what she searched in Germany. 1 Euro for the tools, 5 euros for shipping. OK, that's still much cheaper than the 60 euros when you have to buy these things in the local store in Switzerland...

So she gave up the order, and half a week later got the tools via DHL, at the 6 euro's cost. Everything was fine, the tools as described etc.

A week later we got a bill from the swiss national custom office, totalling 60 euros...
50 euros administrative charges, 10 taxes...
And that was in Switzerland!
:focus:

And the moral of the story:
Tax and administrative charges are free ONLY if shipped via the NATIONAL post offices :zoom:, in this case Deutsche Post. If you ship via DHL or others, outrageous charges is what you get...

That's called free market with free competition *warnign sarcasm*.

Now I suggest you get the cheapest interpreter you can find to do your paperwork. And think about this when sending the packet back, or the same thing will happen again in the USA... :fireworks: