PDA

View Full Version : Church Service near Sokol?

wren
19-09-2008, 14:13
Does anyone know if there are any active churches with services in the area of Sokol? Actually, anywhere on the north end of the dark green line of the Metro, within walking distance of the metro, would be great.

Somewhere with weekend services, possibly English but Russian is okay, too. I could practice my Russian if it's in Russian. Something Christian, but denomination doesn't much matter to me. Just friendly people to meet with in a church service.

Thanks.
-wren

MissAnnElk
19-09-2008, 16:09
Although there seem to be churches around every corner, I don't know how one finds out about services. Surely, you can just look for onion domes?

As for English-language services, it seems to me that the Moscow Times publishes a listing once a week or so. Try their website . . . there is a MOSCOW GUIDE there . . . not sure how helpful it is, but it's something.

rusmeister
22-09-2008, 12:10
People in an Orthodox church may not seem too friendly while the service is going on. This is mainly because they're trying to focus their attention on God and praying. You'll have better luck with friendliness if you approach the candle/book corner before or especially after the service and ask how you can learn more about Orthodoxy. A cheap excuse to find friendly people, and you might learn something!
(Orthodox Christians don't use aggressive approaches used by some western protestants, so you have to 'put yourself out there' if you want to talk to people.)

The other plus, as has been pointed out, that churches are everywhere. Of course, people are people everywhere, with the full range, so some parishes might be more friendly, others less.

tzaritsa
22-09-2008, 12:46
There is one chirch just behind Sokol metro entrance ( the one to the right if u are looking to the center). Its Christian, somehow attended to the kazaks. I`ve never been inside. I think all the Christian chirches have Sunday service morning and evening.Scadule is usually by the doors

MissAnnElk
24-09-2008, 16:07
Today's Moscow Times has a list of churches in the Community Bulletin Board section.

Rast
25-09-2008, 14:58
There is everyday liturgy at 8 a.m. till about 10 a.m. in this orthodox church, and evening service at 6 p.m.. On Sundays and when it is great holidays there is the first liturgy at 7 a.m. and the second at 10 a.m.

rusmeister
27-09-2008, 05:17
Today's Moscow Times has a list of churches in the Community Bulletin Board section.

I notice they don't mention a single Orthodox church, not even an English language one. Guess they figure we all get Orthodoxy by osmosis here...

Anyway, St Catherine's is downtown (aka "the center") at Bolshaya Ordynka:
Church of St. Catherine the Great Martyr in-the-Fields - How to Find Us (http://www.st-catherine.ru/index.php?lang=eng&sitepartid=11&PHPSESSID=5383ecdc1fcfde98c1a5cc4d486d91fe)

And their English language site:
Church of St. Catherine the Great Martyr in-the-Fields - Main page (http://www.st-catherine.ru/?&set_lang=eng)

Benedikt
30-09-2008, 17:52
and that's why only churches in 'foreign' faith if you might call it that way are listed.
as far as i know there is no orthodox church or moslem synagogue that offers service in any other languge but their own.
but with the orthodox church it is easy. you basically do not need a priest and the liturgy as such. you just go in, buy a candle and put it up on any of the many stands around. and say a prayer for what you think yo uhave need.BUT please note, in every church there are icons depicted to a specific saint, who will help whith specific needs. no different than in my catholic church. the problem is only to find out, which icon has which saint and what do you 'need' him/her for.
you also can, right at the door, hand in a piece of paper with the name of people that you would like to have the priiest say a prayer for. and you pay of course...nothing is for free.

again but note:

my wife is orthodox, i am a catholic, suppose we all have one god but it seems to be not that way. my wife wrote on the pice of paper the name of my (deceased) mother and grandmother, both western names, franziska and theresia. the medusa who was sitting behind the counter hightly indignant looked at the paper, gave it back to us and said that for THESE FOREIGNERS we do not say prayers..
so i got hot under the collar and told her, that it is but ok to take my catholic money to pay for orthodox prayers? money does not smell after all?
it caused quite a stir with all the babushkas around, some for us, some against us. in the end we just left and never went back to that church.

i think if i want to pray i can to it out in the field, i do not need a church and someone to pay to say a prayer for my people.
that's why i am against the institution of any church.
not against HIM, but the rip off that is done in HIS name is just not funny anymore..
may they all rot in hell despite all their holiness and hypocricy...

rusmeister
02-10-2008, 10:36
I would not call Orthodoxy a "foreign" faith because it is not nationally exclusive. A case in point - I am American, and I am Orthodox, and was chrismated in the US. I am a living reminder to everyone in my parish that Orthodoxy is not a Russian-exclusive club.

I do sympathize with your description of the "medusa". Such people do exist, and the Church condemns that kind of behavior and tries to correct it via education. It's a fault, not of the faith, but of the individual believer, who has thrown in some of their own ideas to what the Church teaches.

However, where she was right (however rude) is that prayers for non-Orthodox Christians really may not be made during the Liturgy. Prayers for non-Orthodox Christians are generally offered in prayer at home. In certain cases, out of charity, a priest may lead prayers that are not exclusive to Orthodox Christians (outside of the Liturgy). When my father (a lapsed Catholic) died, my priest and the choir came out (after the Liturgy) and sang a "Litiya" (parts of the "panikhida") that may be sung for non-Orthodox Christians.

It is not true, though, that you "don't need a priest and the Liturgy". If you mean that you are not required to participate, you are right, but Orthodox Christians perceive that they very much need the Liturgy and Sacraments, and private worship and prayer is fine, and a necessary part of our lives, but it is not a substitute for corporate worship.

I apologize in the name of the Church (I'm NOT an official spokesperson, but am quite confident that any priest will confirm my words) for the rude way in which you were treated. It shouldn't have happened, and the Church does not condone rude treatment of visitors. All that kind of woman needs (usually) is a short talk with her priest on that topic, after which, if she is serious about being Orthodox, she would seek you out and apologize, confess the sin of lack of charity (love) for others at Confession, and to henceforth treat non-Orthodox visitors kindly. Generally a priest, over the course of a year or so will usually get around to a sermon on the (general) topics of pride and charity.

One more thought - we can't know what's in other people's hearts. For all you know, her son may have committed suicide or been killed in the Caucuses, or (name a really bad thing happening). It's a little easier to forgive other people when you learn that these things really have happened to some of them. I know personal cases of this in my own church.

Benedikt
02-10-2008, 20:19
..and as indeed the good book says who is without guilt throw the first stone...