PDA

View Full Version : Week-end out of Moscow in Karelia

Tara2007
19-09-2008, 13:21
Hi, just want to share my travel experience I had (this September).
I was surprised that it's really interesting to travel around Russia, I took a tour out of Moscow for the week-end only (rafting) to Karelia, and it's really great, I had a night in the forest with songs, drinks. So, I'm impressed by such walking-activity tours and going to do it again (when it'd be more warmer). And it's cheap (totally with tickets from Moscow to Petrozavodsk and back plus cost of the tour (2 days and 1 night) I paid about 5000 rubles (200 USD). So, just my 2 cents - what to do during week-ends :beerbros:

RhythMasteR
19-09-2008, 17:59
Wuawww you've been to Sydney - Australia ???

Hmmmm, I spent 4 years + 2 months in Melbourne, been to Sydney, Adelaide, and many more places...Unbelivable places, unbelivable experience it was...Since Im back, Im regret that I was back...

One day, I will go again, one day....

Judge
20-09-2008, 00:16
Nice one Tara.To get around and see what Russia is all about can be done without spending much dengi.
I often go camping in Russia,it's a great way to see what Russia has got to offer.Many expats who live in Russia don't get the chance to do this.
I'm planning a trip to Kamatchka next year,fingers crossed.I gotta see the great russian bear and the geysers before I :vader:

Tara2007
20-09-2008, 02:04
Wow, Kamchatka is a really beautiful, but I saw the annotation of the tours to Kamchatka, a very good shape is a must thing. Too much walking in the mountains, but I think it's really worth it!
Yes, I used to live in Sydney for 3 years, and planning be back (for 1 month) to Australia as well, great country and good people, want to see Uluru and Red Outback, plus swim (again) on the Great Barrier Reef.

schmidtskatze
20-09-2008, 14:11
You bring up a really good idea - did you organise the tour yourself or did you book it via an agency arranging it?

Tara2007
20-09-2008, 17:47
No, thru the agency.

rotyn
21-09-2008, 13:01
No, thru the agency.

Well, could you provide some details about the agency...maybe others want to take the opportunity too.....

Hawk
21-09-2008, 14:36
i saw some photo's of colleagues of mine that went for 4 days to karelia on a similar camping tri p with rafting....

It is magnificent... totally beautiful...

Judge
21-09-2008, 15:44
There are a few pics of rafting in Karelia here.
Looks fun.

http://www.expat.ru/forum/photography/80619-karelia.html

Tara2007
21-09-2008, 18:15
Hi, you know I don't want it sounds like advertisment, but the accepting agency in Karelia was Stella tours, it's my first experience in Russia, but everything was just fine. The guides cooked food for us on the fire, rafting was fun, I took the easiest activity tour with rafting on Shuya river (the difficulty of the "porog" on the river was 2+, sorry but I don't know how to translate word "porog" from English). We spent out night in the tent in the forest, we had a tourist bania (it's like several stones are heated with fire for several hours, when the guides covered several square meters around these stones with big tent, and it's a tourist bania, everybody in our group like it, because you spend several min inside this tent and when go to the river for 30 sec or more, when back to the tent (bania), the water in the river was about +8, but people did it like 4 times, everybody were happy). Besides rafts the guides took canoe with them, but nobody used it, plus at this Porog (it called Big Tolly) we saw every day up to 5-8 kayakers.
For 2 days out of Moscow it's a great travel.
The web-site of the tour company in Karelia is Туристическая компания "Стелла", рафтинг, велосипеды, экскурсии, загородный отдых (http://stella-karelia.ru/)
But we booked this tour thru Orient tour in Moscow (as I understand the just sell the tours of other companies), I don't know what they could offer for other tours (I mean the quality of the accepting tour companies, but anyway you can check the web-site and see what to do in Russia (like activity tours)Бюро путешествий "Ориент" | Наши туры и путевки на отдых и лечение | Активные маршруты (http://www.orient-tour.ru/ru/2/1049352030/)
Anyway, as I found out a lot of Russian companies offer activity tours in Russia, but the main thing in it is the accepting organization, better read the replies of the travellers in the internet before you go, the quality of the service industry in Russia is really low.

RRM
21-09-2008, 21:49
Kamchatka is not much different form Alaska where I lived for 10 years. Mountains all around and you can hike or climb them in all seasons depneding on your fitness level. The bears...are the biggest in the world in Kodiac Island in Alaska or in Kamchatka. They have a high protein diet in the summer...salmon. I've encountered quite a few myself within close range but since they get plenty of food, they normally leave you alone ! Amazing creatures !
I've spent a lot of birthday events in Russia in forests and nature. It beats the hell out of anything. This country is really so huge, its awesome if you like camping.

Nice one Tara.To get around and see what Russia is all about can be done without spending much dengi.
I often go camping in Russia,it's a great way to see what Russia has got to offer.Many expats who live in Russia don't get the chance to do this.
I'm planning a trip to Kamatchka next year,fingers crossed.I gotta see the great russian bear and the geysers before I :vader:

Judge
22-09-2008, 21:18
Kamchatka is not much different form Alaska where I lived for 10 years. Mountains all around and you can hike or climb them in all seasons depneding on your fitness level. The bears...are the biggest in the world in Kodiac Island in Alaska or in Kamchatka. They have a high protein diet in the summer...salmon. I've encountered quite a few myself within close range but since they get plenty of food, they normally leave you alone ! Amazing creatures !
I've spent a lot of birthday events in Russia in forests and nature. It beats the hell out of anything. This country is really so huge, its awesome if you like camping.

I've been looking at some tours for Kamchatka and I think it might be cheaper to go to Alaska instead..LOLOL..
Bears and the Valley of Geysers are the two main things I wanna see.I think the Valley of Geysers is closed for now,i'll wait until it opens again.