PDA

View Full Version : TRUE? US Citizen Must Get Rus Any Rus Visa In Only the USA

evinierato
17-09-2008, 23:33
A visa rep at a Western firm here in Moscow, claims:

"Regarding the possibility of getting a Russian visa in any country other then the USA I would like to inform you that the new Russian Migration law was brought into force in October, 2007. A reciprocity principle now applies regarding issuance of visas in third countries. A foreign citizen can receive a Russian visa in a country other than his own if his country allows Russian citizens to receive visas at its consulates outside Russia. So the US citizens have to apply for a Russian visa in the US unless they have a official permission to work in a third country."

My info as of last May was that a US Citizen may obtain a working visa in a non-EU country, but not, Turkey.

But the rep's claim includes the contrary and includes all Russian Visas.

Please advise

evinierato
21-09-2008, 23:52
Follow-up:

I've had only one reply who PM'd me instead of posting and I'll follow that lead.

In the meantime, I wrote American Citizen Services here to intervene and to my amazement there was a supportive reply, which I'll display below just the relevant snippet, as:

"According to the information we have there is no restriction regarding the place of visa issuance for the US citizens. According to Item 3 of Governmental Decree # 635 of October 4, 2007, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian federation may decide on visa issuance to a foreign citizen, who finds himself in a state other than the state of which he is a citizen, regardless of any permission for continued state in that state. Concerning the US citizens, such a decision was approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation and forwarded to all Russian consular missions abroad. If the US citizen has permission for continued stay in a third country for a period exceeding 90 days then he may obtain Russian visa without delay. If the US citizen has no such permission then he can obtain Russian visa in 10 to 14 days.

According to an employment visa question. According to our information, this visa can be extended up to one year inside the country."