PDA

View Full Version : What visa do you need to be on to apply for a TRP in the first place?

footloose
11-09-2008, 17:47
Hi. Can I explain my situation? I am living in China, and would like to move to Vladivostok and freelance from there. I have a degree in Chinese and Russian, and would like to be near China to pop back constantly. In Russia, I would not need a job, but would earn money by freelancing over the Internet for companies outside Russia (writing articles).

1. As far as I understand, you can't apply for the TRP outside Russia. You have to go there, pick a region and apply locally, right?

2. If I got a 90 days business visa, went to Russia and worked by freelancing over the Internet while I was there, and during this time applied for a Vladivostock TRP and then after the 90 days were up went back to China, then I wouldn't be able to go back to Russia for 90 days. Do you have to be on a work visa to apply for a TRP, or can you do it on a business visa? Can you just go back after the 90 days outside the country are up and see if the TRP is ready yet and then stay? Can you apply for a TRP on a study visa?

3. What if they ask "how do you intend to make money?" when I apply for a TRP? Would that expose the fact that I was already doing bits of freelance work over the Internet on a business visa? Is it allowed to freelance for overseas companies while in Russia on a business visa?

4. Does Vladivostok have a quota for immigration? How can I find out?

5. Is there any better way of doing what I outlined above?

6. Are there any reputable immigration firms that can help me with the process?

Thanks for any advice!

mefistofele
12-09-2008, 07:46
Re: #2 - It is my understanding that the 90/180 day limitations do not apply to 3-month visas of any kind. I've been doing back-to-back 90-day private visas (just got my third) without any problems. Maybe I've just been lucky. (You will, of course, have to leave the country upon the expiration of each visa in order to renew it)

I'm very curious about #3 too. Anybody know about getting a temporary residence permit while doing this sort of work? What are the tax implications, if any?

nyinrussia
12-09-2008, 08:02
First I was under the impression that to make money from Russia is why you need a work permit. If you are here on a business visa and your money is coming from another country then you are okay. I am not sure about the tax implications though.

Also the 90 day in 90 day out rule does apply to anyone who is not applying for a TRP. If you have applied for the TRP then you can just go out of the country and renew your visa and come right back. IF you have not then you would need to stay out for 90 days.

Every region has a quota I was told it depends on population etc. The only way quota does not apply is if you are married to a Russian citizen. I have no idea what the actual number would be but I would try contacting the local immigration office in that region or maybe your local embassy to find that information.

MaltSokol
12-09-2008, 08:37
Re #1: I don't remember if it was here or in redtape.ru, but some woman said that she had applied in a Russian consulate in USA. I don't know what happened in the end.

Re #2: You can apply from student visa (just did it), and you can apply from business visa of any kind (know people who did it).

Re #3: You will probably have to detail your labor record, with salaries and so on. It is possible to show that you have money in your account to live for 3 years. (the monthly threshold is quite low so a few thousand dollars might be enough); or you can show your spouse's income if you don't show anything from your side.

Re #4: Certainly, it must have quota like every federal subject. You should ask it in the central office of UFMS in Primorsky Krai.
Федеральная миграционная служба России - Приморский край (http://www.fms.gov.ru/about/structure/apparatus/detail.php?ID=3035)

But still, I never heard of anyone who got into the quota.

mefistofele
12-09-2008, 09:39
Also the 90 day in 90 day out rule does apply to anyone who is not applying for a TRP. If you have applied for the TRP then you can just go out of the country and renew your visa and come right back. IF you have not then you would need to stay out for 90 days.

This rule applies to ME 6-month and 12-month visas only. See the law (Приказ Министерства иностранных дел Российской Федерации от 20 ноября 2007 г. N 19265 г. Москва"Об утверждении Административного регламента исполнения государственной функции по оформлению, выдаче, продлению срока действия, восстановлению и аннулиров (http://www.rg.ru/2008/01/23/reglament-dok.html)). All restrictions therein about 90 days are explicitly linked to a ME visa.

For example:
25.1. Суммарный срок пребывания иностранного гражданина в Российской Федерации по многократной визе устанавливается при оформлении визы в РЗУ, но не более чем 90 дней в течение каждого периода в 180 дней, за исключением случаев, предусмотренных Административным регламентом.

There is no word of any such restriction on a non-ME visa. So you would probably be best off getting a 1 or 2 entry private/business visa and hopping to China to renew it (if you're allowed to there) and returning immediately to Russia. Just don't go the 6-month or 12-month ME business visa route, or you'll be subject to the 90 rule.

trebor
12-09-2008, 10:03
..........There is no word of any such restriction on a non-ME visa. So you would probably be best off getting a 1 or 2 entry private/business visa and hopping to China to renew it (if you're allowed to there) and returning immediately to Russia. Just don't go the 6-month or 12-month ME business visa route, or you'll be subject to the 90 rule.

He will need to be able to prove residency in China i believe to be able to collect a business visa there. Otherwise he would have to return to his own country. Try asking the question on Thorn Tree Travel Forum - Lonely Planet (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa)

Footloose i used to live in Vlad for 3 years. If you need any info on the city let me know.
Good luck

footloose
12-09-2008, 18:55
Thank you for your replies. So the situation is not as dire as I thought. You could get 3month visas consecutively while you have filed for TRP and are waiting and don't have to leave for 90 days, just leave for long enough to get a visa. I am very sceptical about getting TRPs from abroad.

Are there any areas of Russia that are better bets for TRPs? One reason I picked Vladivostok was that the area is being depopulated, and maybe they are really trying to get people to move there? Maybe it is unknown which region has the largest quota or which region fails to fill its quota each year??

MaltSokol
13-09-2008, 07:43
But you can't pick a region just like that. You'll need to own property on that region or know someone who will authorize you to stay in his place for 3 years. Not like a tenant, but someone registered in an apartment, in which there is still place according to Passportny Stol.

MaltSokol
13-09-2008, 07:45
I found this document with the quotas for the different federal subjects. I don't know if it's for real, but the numbers are quite low.

РАСПРЕДЕЛЕНИЕ
КВОТЫ НА ВЫДАЧУ ИНОСТРАННЫМ ГРАЖДАНАМ И ЛИЦАМ
БЕЗ ГРАЖДАНСТВА РАЗРЕШЕНИЙ НА ВРЕМЕННОЕ ПРОЖИВАНИЕ
В РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ НА 2007 ГОД ПО СУБЪЕКТАМ
РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ

Количество разрешений - (штук)
Центральный федеральный округ - всего 14712
в том числе:

Белгородская область - 550
Брянская область - 2000
Владимирская область - 200
Воронежская область - 3000
Ивановская область - 50
Калужская область - 1250
Костромская область - 150
Курская область - 200
Липецкая область - 1800
Московская область - 1562
Орловская область - 1000
Рязанская область - 150
Смоленская область - 500
Тамбовская область - 200
Тверская область - 250
Тульская область - 800
Ярославская область - 550
Город Москва - 500

Северо-Западный федеральный округ - всего 5960
в том числе:

Республика Карелия - 80
Республика Коми - 750
Архангельская область - 200
Вологодская область - 200
Калининградская область - 1000
Ленинградская область - 1500
Мурманская область - 30
Новгородская область - 500
Псковская область - 150
Город Санкт-Петербург - 1500
Ненецкий автономный округ - 50

Южный федеральный округ - всего 4120
в том числе:

Республика Адыгея - 50
Республика Дагестан - 300
Республика Ингушетия - 100
Кабардино-Балкарская Республика - 250
Республика Калмыкия - 200
Карачаево-Черкесская Республика - 150
Республика Северная Осетия - Алания - 250
Чеченская Республика - 0
Краснодарский край - 2000
Ставропольский край - 100
Астраханская область - 20
Волгоградская область - 500
Ростовская область - 200

Приволжский федеральный округ - всего 11800
в том числе:

Республика Башкортостан - 3000
Республика Марий Эл - 400
Республика Мордовия - 1300
Республика Татарстан - 1900
Удмуртская Республика - 400
Чувашская Республика - 50
Пермский край - 400
Кировская область - 100
Нижегородская область - 1000
Оренбургская область - 500
Пензенская область - 200
Самарская область - 2000
Саратовская область - 300
Ульяновская область - 250

Уральский федеральный округ - всего 7093
в том числе:

Курганская область - 150
Свердловская область - 1500
Тюменская область - 1000
Челябинская область - 3500
Ханты-Мансийский автономный округ - Югра - 93
Ямало-Ненецкий автономный округ - 850

Сибирский федеральный округ - всего 6730
в том числе:

Республика Алтай - 30
Республика Бурятия - 100
Республика Тыва - 50
Республика Хакасия - 150
Алтайский край - 1500
Красноярский край - 200
Иркутская область - 1790
Кемеровская область - 200
Новосибирская область - 400
Омская область - 1000
Томская область - 1000
Читинская область - 100
Агинский Бурятский автономный округ - 100
Таймырский (Долгано-Ненецкий) автономный округ - 10
Усть-Ордынский Бурятский автономный округ - 100
Эвенкийский автономный округ - 0

Дальневосточный федеральный округ - всего 2308
в том числе:

Республика Саха (Якутия) - 400
Приморский край - 50
Хабаровский край - 100
Амурская область - 150
Камчатская область - 8
Магаданская область - 50
Сахалинская область - 500
Еврейская автономная область - 600
Корякский автономный округ - 450
Чукотский автономный округ - 0

MaltSokol
13-09-2008, 07:48
Also take a look at this table. It is the work permit quotas for 2008 with the percentage of slots used as for 31.07.08 This can give you an idea of what subjects are the less demanded.

Федеральная миграционная служба России - Информация о наличии квоты в регионах (http://www.fms.gov.ru/about/ofstat/work_permit/)

Certainly Primorsky Krai is one of the lowest.

Bels
13-09-2008, 11:03
Does anyone know of anyone who has got a TRP within the quota system? That is presumably someone who is not married to a Russian.

For the moment I have known of no one on this ever getting one of these qouta TRP's.