PDA

View Full Version : Med. insurance/HIV test? 1 more question

Candle
21-08-2003, 16:31
Ok guys here's the deal. I just got my letter of invitation, and a form with it instructing me about the procedure.
On this form it read: Some consulates and border control officials may ask for a HIV certificate, and a medical insurance certificate. Now please consider that my business visa is only for 3 months.
The question is: Will I need either document/certificate when I go to Riga in order to get my visa?
Some say yes, some say no, what's the deal?
Please help!
Thanks!

sgilman
24-08-2003, 10:34
I was never asked for proof of insurance, but I would say Aids test results are a MUST! I saw someone being refused in Vilnius because he didn't have an Aids test & he was with the EU Commission. Don't risk it.

neilmcg
24-08-2003, 19:51
>> but I would say Aids test results are a MUST! <<

Not necessarily - it depends entirely where you apply. I have never been asked for an HIV-negative certificate by the London Consulate. A friend of mine got a multi there two weeks ago, and they didn't ask her either.

N.

kristian
25-08-2003, 10:54
You only need the certificate if your visa is for more than 3 months.

waxwing
31-08-2003, 02:03
Originally posted by kristian
You only need the certificate if your visa is for more than 3 months.

Is that 100% certain ? Is it written down anywhere ?
I'm going to be getting a 3 month business visa at the end of Sept in London.

Loafer
31-08-2003, 18:00
Solid facts:

1. A one-year multi-entry visa invitaion was purchased for $140 (16 calendar days order execution) from RusVisa.com (or somethin' like that, on Leningradsky pr-kt)

2. There's no border or customs control between Russia and Belarus when travelling by train (= no visa expiration or registration checks while leaving or entering Russia.)

3. Vilnius embassy does require $240 for 10 minutes waiting time visa, along with two photos, HIV certificate (for any visa for longer than 3 months), invitation and a three-pages forms to be filled out right there. No Med. Insurance is asked for now.

4. Transit Belarus visa is helpful ($36) or bribes could be paid on the spot ($60 x 2 = $120). The latter might include nerve wrecking negotiations in the customs office, though.

Hope this helps.

PS. I also think the registration is required if:
a. you drive a vehicle and risk being pulled over by gaishniks
b. you don't look "right" and get IDed by cops on the streets.

Otherwise, I believe, it's a waste of time and money.