PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had experiences with these schools?

andrich
10-09-2008, 22:21
Hello everyone,
I am currently shopping around for some offers from some English language schools, and I was wondering if anyone out there can share any specific experiences, positive or negative, about Globus International, English Unlimited, Lingua or ETI Vostok? They all seem fairly reasonable and I am having a hard time deciding. Thank you in advance.

kebab
12-09-2008, 17:47
What about BKS? I know several people who have and are studying with them and they really like the school.

andrich
12-09-2008, 22:35
they told me that i didn't have enough experience or qualifications to work for them..

AndreyS
12-09-2008, 22:43
they told me that i didn't have enough experience or qualifications to work for them..

They have dozens of divisions all over Moscow. Try another one.
It's BKC not BKS btw.

kazachka
16-10-2008, 21:06
I freelanced for English Unlimited in '05-06. The salary was ok back then, but word on the street is it's not changed much .If this is the case, I'd say that after accounting for inflation that it may no longer be profitable to work there. I knew a few teachers who left there at the beginning of this year who were only getting 500rub/acad hour!!!!!! I got on fine with the director and was never treated badly while I was there.

Globus- they have a good social package and their director is a nice guy, but as of Nov 2007, they were only offering 50,000 rub a month-also kind of hard to pay bills on.

Nadyushka
26-10-2008, 02:27
BCK requires CELTA certification. I'm finishing up my CELTA course this month and hoping to work for them - I have already been in contact, and signed up for CELTA training because they told me the same thing, basically. It's about $1500/$2000 for the course, but it is really thorough (including teaching practice from day one). They also offer the course at the school in Moscow.

I am applying to work there because I think they have one of the best packages around, and they are part of International House, which means they have outside standards to meet. If you can spare the money and time, CELTA may be a good option, plus they talk you through job search in the last session.

~Nadyushka

Bels
26-10-2008, 22:11
First of all,do you need travelling costs such as flight covered, do you need accomadation costs arranged and covered, do you you need invitation and work visa assistance. The only schools I can think of that covers all this is Language Link and BKC. You should take the cost of all of this package into consideration when thinking about salaries.

And to be honest with you what is on offer is pretty dismal from the other schools who don't offer the full package. Yes as other posters have mentioned the inflation rate in Russia is a big problem, because what they were offering in the past was dismal, and what they are offering now is unlivable.

Freelance is ok if you control the price, but unfortunately the schools don't see freelance the way I do. They see it as an employment in cash with no rights for the employee. I see it as a self employed individual chargingn sensible rate for his professional services. The problem was that some schools were shocked with my fees, and wanted to control things their way and not mine.

Nope!! there's only one way, and that is to do it privately yourself, and forget these robbers.

andrich
26-10-2008, 22:43
Thanks for all your replies. To follow up, at the time of my original post I was already in Moscow (and still am), and I was looking for advice on the above mentioned schools, as those were the main ones I had contacted and arranged interviews with. Some were obviously better than others, but having lived here now for 2 months, I have come to realize the truth of Bels claims, that what they offer is very miserable and would be very difficult to live off of.
Of all my options, I would say that Globus looked the most reasonable. Their salary was pretty much standard with all the others (around $2000 a month), and they offered what seemed like legitimate visa support, as well as an honest holiday package. On top of all this, the director was very friendly, as were his assistants, and the type of teaching involved seemed very straighforward and guided. My worry at the time, however, was the strange hours that would be involved, of either working early mornings or late evenings. I wanted to retain some control over my work schedule, and hesitated to make a decision.
Fortunately (I think), I decided to avoid all of these offers, and have since secured work with a far better and more lucrative school that has led to private lessons which I am able to secure on my own terms. Of course, I was only able to accept this position because I had the luxury of waiting and of weighing all my options, rather than become forced into a contract and shitty wages on account of being desperate for visa support and accomodation.

Anyway, Thanks again for your replies everyone, and maybe these ramblings might somehow help others in a similar position as myself some two months ago.

Bels
26-10-2008, 22:56
Yes ! This is why I pursuade people who PM me about questions that are of interest to other future expats to ask these questions on the forum. When the the questions are of general interest and can help others they should be here. Yes! Occasionaly there will be some private conversation needed by PM, Where my guess is that members will keep these PM discussions confidential.

Bels
26-10-2008, 23:16
Thanks for all your replies. To follow up, at the time of my original post I was already in Moscow (and still am), and I was looking for advice on the above mentioned schools, as those were the main ones I had contacted and arranged interviews with. Some were obviously better than others, but having lived here now for 2 months, I have come to realize the truth of Bels claims, that what they offer is very miserable and would be very difficult to live off of.
Of all my options, I would say that Globus looked the most reasonable. Their salary was pretty much standard with all the others (around $2000 a month), and they offered what seemed like legitimate visa support, as well as an honest holiday package. On top of all this, the director was very friendly, as were his assistants, and the type of teaching involved seemed very straighforward and guided. My worry at the time, however, was the strange hours that would be involved, of either working early mornings or late evenings. I wanted to retain some control over my work schedule, and hesitated to make a decision.
Fortunately (I think), I decided to avoid all of these offers, and have since secured work with a far better and more lucrative school that has led to private lessons which I am able to secure on my own terms. Of course, I was only able to accept this position because I had the luxury of waiting and of weighing all my options, rather than become forced into a contract and shitty wages on account of being desperate for visa support and accomodation.

Anyway, Thanks again for your replies everyone, and maybe these ramblings might somehow help others in a similar position as myself some two months ago.

Hours like these are common. You work to the demand of the student. Adults need early mornings, evening or weekends, depending on their schedule. Teenagers are commonly late afternoons, and children depending on which age group are from 10am to 6pm. Be flexible and you could have a full day, and if you want say work it will be children and teenagers.

Another little issue, some schools think that beginner and low level student of English should be taught by Russian teachers. Totally wrong! As what they do instead is mess their heads up and make it difficult for you to teach them later. Your best students will be the ones you taught from the beginning. This might be difficult and stressful for the parents to understand at the beginning, but believe me it's true. In the end, those parents who are loyal won't have anything else but a native speaking teacher. Especially when they see the results at their state school exams, expecially Olympia, and see their kids come up top with 5's.

You will hear slander from your your Russian English teaching competitors such as you can't teach. But don't worry about it, your customers will continue to be loyal to you, and eventually you will prove yourself with the results.