PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Protocol

MissAnnElk
09-09-2008, 17:45
We realized we have heard differing theories on how vodka should be consumed.

Some say to savor it in the mouth.

Some say that the esophagus absorbs the lion's share of the alcohol, so THROW it back so as to avoid becoming too drunk (Huh?)

Most everyone says to drink it chilled. But not everyone.

What have you heard? Better, what do you recommend?

Wodin
09-09-2008, 17:49
very chilled...almost frozen...preferably in ice tumblers...

RRM
09-09-2008, 17:52
No way. In Russia you dont chill it.

very chilled...almost frozen...preferably in ice tumblers...

Sidney Bliss
09-09-2008, 19:11
I'm with Wodin on this one - as close to slush as you can get it

Gypsy
09-09-2008, 19:17
Out of the freezer.

MissAnnElk
09-09-2008, 19:19
Out of the freezer.

What do you mean? Don't store it in the freezer? Then how do you prefer to serve it?

Gypsy
09-09-2008, 19:25
What do you mean? Don't store it in the freezer? Then how do you prefer to serve it?
Apologies Elkers -I meant store it in the freezer and serve it "out of the freezer".

However as you saw last week I prefer it in a pint glass with Tonic and a slice of lime.

Sidney Bliss
09-09-2008, 19:25
Do store it in the freezer, it'll do a good vodka no harm. Russky Standard silver filtered springs to mind.

MissAnnElk
09-09-2008, 19:54
I like Russky Standart silver . . . I like tonic and lime, too.

Remind me to tell you how I found the Russian liquor store in the US.

MickeyTong
09-09-2008, 20:11

How did you find the Russian liquor store in the US?

I'd like to say that I also like Russky Standart, but apparently value judgements are elitist and bigoted.

Gypsy
09-09-2008, 20:14

I'd like to say that I also like Russky Standart, but apparently value judgements are elitist and bigoted.
It is hilarious isn't it?

Mickey and Gypsy two pro western bigots! Richly comic, as Boris said.

We should have jackets made Mickey.

MissAnnElk
09-09-2008, 20:26

I had planned to buy vodka in duty-free. But although I arrived at the airport a full hour earlier than I intended to, I had NO time to shop.

So I arrive in my ancestral village to find the bar rather lacking.

"You could go to the Russian liquor store," my brother says. It's not far from my house, but in a different neighborhood . . a much more urban neighborhood. "Yeah, you'll be the only white person in there," he says.

But I'm intrigued. I go. It is, as my kids would say, very "Russian-y." Everything is behind a counter. I am the only white client. I spot the gin I want, but there are countless varieties of vodka.

I find the proprietor. "Are you really Russian?" I ask.

"I'm American. Now." He's defensive.

Yeah, yeah. "But do you have something like Russky Standart?" I ask.

"I have Russky Standart," he says, conspiratorily. he reaches under the counter and pulls out two vokas I have never seen before. We discuss. I buy one.

"Spasiba," I say on my way out the door.

"Da svidana." He almost smiles.

Gypsy
09-09-2008, 20:38
"Da svidana." He almost smiles.
Still Russian then.

MissAnnElk
09-09-2008, 20:53
I passed two antique little old ladies once while riding my bike. I hear one say, "Vecherom . . ."

Then, one day, in the gorgeous, gourmet ice cream shop, I hear the family in front of me discussing flavors in a language resembling Russian.

"I can't help over-hearing," I say. "Are you speaking Russian or Ukrainian?"

"BOTH!" they say.

They ask what I'm going to have.

"Salty Caramel," I say. (It's a traditional French-style caramel, with caramelized sugars, butter and sea salt. This is also why I returned to Moscow FATFATFAT.)

xSnoofovich
09-09-2008, 21:19
Good vodka should be served slightly chilled, but not from the freezer.

If you put it in the freezer, and then drink it, it tastes like cheap vodka, which defeats the purpose of buying good vodka.

If you have any questions about vodka, why don't you ask the people at the vodka museum?

I am sure they have the answers you are looking for !

MissAnnElk
09-09-2008, 21:41
Vodka Museum?!? Where is this paradise???

Gypsy
09-09-2008, 21:48
Vodka Museum?!? Where is this paradise???
Paradise? A place where you get to see wonderful things but not taste them?

I think not Elkers.

MissAnnElk
09-09-2008, 21:59
A place where you get to see wonderful things but not taste them?

Doesn't that describe Moscow in general?

Gypsy
09-09-2008, 22:03
Doesn't that describe Moscow in general?
I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.

DJ Biscuit
09-09-2008, 22:15
Russian Standart is not what it was, try Legend Kremlya.

Not a vodka drink but try this: Pint of Guinness with a shot of Gin in it. Wonderfully smooth.

xSnoofovich
09-09-2008, 22:24
The Vodka Museum / Home (http://www.vodkamuseum.ru/english/index.phtml)

Cheers !

kapione
09-09-2008, 22:25
get your freezer settings to maximum, until it is a syrup almost a gel then drink it with vegtable juice,or fruit juice...dont forget the kolbasa+ cheese ...then let the buzz begin

is4fun
09-09-2008, 23:06
Good vodka should be served slightly chilled, but not from the freezer.

If you put it in the freezer, and then drink it, it tastes like cheap vodka, which defeats the purpose of buying good vodka.

If you have any questions about vodka, why don't you ask the people at the vodka museum?

I am sure they have the answers you are looking for !

I would tend to agree but not for the same reason. When the vodka is too cold it may damage the membrain at the back of the throat, which is why many get a sore throat from having it too cold. It happened to me. The doctor noticed what looked like slight discolouration at he back of my throat saying it was likely from the alchohol, which gave me a sort of freezer burn. It remained sore for the better part of a week and was difficult to swallow.

RRM
09-09-2008, 23:42
Rusky Brilliant is my new favorite. I like it better than Putinka and Rusky Standart.
A right way to drink vodka....shoot it straight, then eat a slice of pickle/salted fish/kolbasa/tomato/anything.

Another way, vodka-Martini but I prefer Grey Goose at that point. DIRTY.

BelgianSoviet
10-09-2008, 00:53
living in Brussels, we have to make do with what we can lay our hands on...

favorite brand: Khortytsa (Хортиця) - runners up: Absolut, Wyborowa & Zubrovka
favorite method of injection: store in deepfreeze, get it out, pour shot glass (румки) and drink in one go

repeat until unconscious.

except when driving, then you should stop 1 glass before unconsciousness sets in.

o, and get a good insurance.

TGP
10-09-2008, 00:57
Being a Russian, I can't get what's so wonderful in this fire water... :rolleyes:

No to vodka!

(Now I better leave)

Rufus
10-09-2008, 11:36
What gets me is that the "best" vodkas are the ones that are filtered and filtered so that they end up as tasteless as possible. So then, what is the point? I like to drink something for its taste, not its ability just to get me wobbly.

Benedikt
10-09-2008, 13:28

you prefer it, but NEVER :9451:without anything to eat with, some pickles, dark bread, sliced sausages.
it is considered 'niekulturny' :thumbdwn:just to down 100 gr after 100 gr without some 'sakuski' ( 19 years in russia....me that is)

xSnoofovich
10-09-2008, 14:15
What gets me is that the "best" vodkas are the ones that are filtered and filtered so that they end up as tasteless as possible. So then, what is the point? I like to drink something for its taste, not its ability just to get me wobbly.

But - good vodka should have no taste. It should make your tummy feel warm, and your head should stay clear.

If you want taste, stick with whiskeys. Or wines.

MissAnnElk
10-09-2008, 14:29
I agree that one MUST eat while drinking vodka. Partially to protect oneself, but also because the camaraderie of the table is part of the whole vodka experience, no? It is a social drink.

Can anyone say anything about a vodka brand called Beluga? I heard good things about it. But it is quite expensive.

RRM: YES! to a dirty Grey Goose Martini. With extra olives.

Benedikt
10-09-2008, 17:17

has not so much to do with getting the product tasteless, but to remove all the fusel oils and other impurities that give you the headache the next day.
try to get onto a guided tour at the kristall vodka factory. :idea:it is fun and will change your out look on russia's favorite tipple.

is4fun
10-09-2008, 18:52

I can take you to a villiage and you can try the local Samagon. All the flavour you want and more! :)

MissAnnElk
10-09-2008, 20:10
I can take you to a villiage and you can try the local Samagon. All the flavour you want and more! :)

Oh! Oh! Can I come too?
:mml::mml::mml:

xSnoofovich
10-09-2008, 20:18
Oh! Oh! Can I come too?

Actually, you don't want to try samagon. Just imagine drinking everclear, except that someone made it at home.

is4fun
10-09-2008, 20:20
Oh! Oh! Can I come too?

It would be a pleasure provided a waiver of responsibility was agreed to prior to the engagement. Each family within thier villiage have thier own recipe they stick by. Regardless, there are risks... Oh but what fun.. LOL

MissAnnElk
10-09-2008, 20:35
It would be a pleasure provided a waiver of responsibility was agreed to prior to the engagement. Each family within thier villiage have thier own recipe they stick by. Regardless, there are risks... Oh but what fun.. LOL

Yeah, yeah, blahblahblah. I'm married to a lawyer. Those waivers mean nothing in court if there really is a cause of action. I'm a big girl. Bring it on!

kapione
10-09-2008, 21:51
I would tend to agree but not for the same reason. When the vodka is too cold it may damage the membrain at the back of the throat, which is why many get a sore throat from having it too cold. It happened to me. The doctor noticed what looked like slight discolouration at he back of my throat saying it was likely from the alchohol, which gave me a sort of freezer burn. It remained sore for the better part of a week and was difficult to swallow.
I never got a sore throat this way of drinking Vodka !
maybe you all shouldnt drink so much, and throw out your tobacco products , they are what is burning your throat , not the Vodka, it has alcohol, is is antiseptic ! and theraputic to boot !

Bels
10-09-2008, 22:21
I'm surprised that there isn't more Russians commenting here. I don't drink vodaka, as I'm more of a beer man. However I do remembeer my first visit here to the oblast, Moscow. I had no choice on my first few days here, but to drink and celebrate independance day with the men outside with vodka. Although my wife was with me and against the drinking outside, she understood that it would have been rude to refuse our locals on this occasion.

The vodka was not frozen, and served in a plastic gl**** I sipped it and they were shocked, that was my first mistake. They then gave me a carton of juice, and I mixed it into my vodka. That was my second horrendous mistake.

So as long as you drink your vodka room temprature or chilled due to -29 weather in a glass or from the bottle it's ok. And outside street parties are the best. When you are offered a drink, ensure you wait untill a Russian has made a speech, when he has finished, then gulp it down, drink the juice separately, and then bite into a sausege or pickled gherkin. That's the Russian way, and don't look like a foolish Brit who doesn't understand their customs. And don't be a snob :)

Bels
10-09-2008, 22:30
maybe you all shouldnt drink so much, and throw out your tobacco products , they are what is burning your throat , not the Vodka, it has alcohol, is is antiseptic ! and theraputic to boot !

Try a 50 rouble bottle of vodka, and tell me you think the same. As my wife won't even bathe my son in it for medicinal purposes. I'm absolutely shocked she uses expensive vodka to bathe in. What do you think?

J.D.
10-09-2008, 22:39
When I first got here I thought vodka was undrinkable. I found out later that if I bought 100 ruble vodka instead of 50 ruble vodka that it was drinkable. But maybe I had only conditioned myself to drink 100 ruble vodka by first trying to drink 50 ruble vodka and that actually 100 ruble vodka is also undrinkable.
Anyway now that I think about it I drank tequila before coming here. When I first started I found that it helped if it was refrigerated. Even better if it was kept in the freezer. Then I started drinking a more expensive tequila and I found it didn't need any refrigerating at all.
So I suspect that it is same with cheap vodka, but I no longer have the stomach to experiment.

is4fun
10-09-2008, 23:06

You know I am a non smoker K. Lay off the booze yourself. LOL

is4fun
10-09-2008, 23:10
Yeah, yeah, blahblahblah. I'm married to a lawyer. Those waivers mean nothing in court if there really is a cause of action. I'm a big girl. Bring it on!

The waivers are to be signed by your husband not you... LOL

xSnoofovich
10-09-2008, 23:38
Try a 50 rouble bottle of vodka, and tell me you think the same. As my wife won't even bathe my son in it for medicinal purposes. I'm absolutely shocked she uses expensive vodka to bathe in.

So - what you are saying is - You bathe your son in vodka... for medicinal purposes?

Wow ! That's different !

AND, not even your son ! But, your WIFE bathes in it too?

WOW ! What's the deal? How much does that cost? What brand do you recommend?

I'll try it once, if you can convince me. :)