PDA

View Full Version : Is City bar closed?

ndemeis
09-09-2008, 13:45
Ok So i've come back to find City bar closed on Millionaya and then heard it reopened on Furshantskaya. But is it closed now for good? Or has it just moved again?

DDT
11-09-2008, 07:04
I was wondering when this would come up!
Yes, thank god it is finally closed. Several weeks ago actually. I was by there the other day and it is a ghost town. I took a photo for posterity's sake, anyway. The place was a skunk hole and owned by a complete moron. You don't miss it do you?

Of course she was talking, before she left, about reopening it again but I think that it will not happen this time....she's losing it more and more that woman. I think anyone would be crazier than her to finance her on another venture.

britpat1
11-09-2008, 13:17
You know, I went there once and only once...

There was a woman citing at the bar and she started talking gibberish... and she started going on about how she should come back there again and how the drinks were cheap thre, so cheap that she would have a few more and even eat there...

I think that she was the owner...?

ndemeis
11-09-2008, 19:59
actually I had never been. Just been by it while here for a summer before (and readabout it in guide books). Now that I live here was trying to find some place to hangout thats decent and I guess that wasn't it. But I was really upset at not getting free wireless.

DDT
11-09-2008, 21:05
You know, I went there once and only once...

There was a woman citing at the bar and she started talking gibberish... and she started going on about how she should come back there again and how the drinks were cheap thre, so cheap that she would have a few more and even eat there...

I think that she was the owner...?
Did she also remind you of Jaba The Hut and was she swearing at her staff and her customers? No It wasn't the owner anyway, by the sound of things, she wouldn't care if you came back or not. I've seen her cook up some pretty nasty stuff and serve to her customers that you would not believe! And then expect a compliment! Cuckoo! But I think the funniest thing was when she got beat up by one of her own staff.

DDT
11-09-2008, 21:11
actually I had never been. Just been by it while here for a summer before (and readabout it in guide books). Now that I live here was trying to find some place to hangout thats decent and I guess that wasn't it. But I was really upset at not getting free wireless.

You can get free wireless about 10 min walk away from City Bar. Walk down Vostaniya towards the Metro on the right hand side before yo get to the metro is Suaree, "Soiree" not sure how to spell it, a cafe/bar with free wireless. It is on the corner of Жуковская ул.

arghmeg
23-11-2008, 16:44
City bar is closed indeed.
Another good place with free wifi is italian bistro called nooodles on liteyni prospekt 40. a cosy place and also serves OK pizza. americano is 70rur and they dont care if you sit there half day long. speed is fine too, unless you go on youtube or watch tv online.
City bar used to be a good int'l pick up spot, some folks migrated to The Other side by now.

Wodin
23-11-2008, 17:16
City bar is closed indeed.
Another good place with free wifi is italian bistro called nooodles on liteyni prospekt 40. a cosy place and also serves OK pizza. americano is 70rur and they dont care if you sit there half day long. speed is fine too, unless you go on youtube or watch tv online.
City bar used to be a good int'l pick up spot, some folks migrated to The Other side by now.

What is the The Other Side? Is it a pub in the centre?

My usual haunts are Dickens on Fontanka and Capt Cook. Not many epats seem to be there any longer and I do sometimes miss speaking to peopel who use the same accent as I do :)

arghmeg
23-11-2008, 17:59
the other side would be a place for the people with the wrong accents then.
thats a drawback of being an expat, you've got to use the phone to hear THAT exact accent. Re: pubs here, they seem to be outrageously priced and have gradual resemblance with actual ones, and then walking out, one is confused in which direction to look at zigzaggin the street.