PDA

View Full Version : What might your TOP TEN look like????

Lady Marmalade
01-07-2004, 13:50
It’s a quiet Thursday at this house and I’ve come to the conclusion I’ve heard more Bony-M in taxis in this country on the radio than I’ve ever heard in my life. So I decided to compile and post my top twenty in no particular order of my favorite Retro Songs covering ‘79 to about ‘86 of songs I’d like to hear on the radio!!!!!!!! Not the obvious ones like "Tainted Love", "Oh Mickey" or "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", no Smiths, no Depeche Mode and no Blanc Mange- I’m going for slightly more ecclectic here!

Give Me Hope Johanna and Electric Avenue - Eddie Grant
Burning Down The House- Talking Heads
Mr Roboto - Styxx
Dirty Laundry – Don Henly
Town Called Malice – The Jam
I Touch Myself – The Divinyls
Flesh For Fantansy – Billy Idol
Land Down Under – Men At Work
One Night In Bangkok – Murray Head
Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds
Voices Carry – Till Tuesday
Life In A Northern Town – Dream Academy
Everyday is Halloween – Ministry
Melody – Who is that by anyway?????
Wouldn’t It Be Good – Nik Kershaw
Puttin’ On The Ritz – Taco
One Way or Another – Blondie
Blister in The Sun – Violent Femmes
Bizarre Love Triangle – New Order
The Sun Always Shines On TV – A- Ha
Bette Davis Eyes – Kim Carnes
Rock The Kasbah – The Clash
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Our House - Madness
There’s a start, what do you want on your Retro Station, we’ve got enough countries represented on this site to get a pretty good list!!!!! What should I be downloading off Kazaa???? Caroline

DJ Biscuit
01-07-2004, 15:12
Some great toons there. What about some Sisters of Mercy, early Adam and the Ants (Dirk wears white sox), Misty in Roots, Cabaret Voltaire, Gang of Four?

pengwn9
01-07-2004, 15:16
One Night in Bankok

Should take top honors for the worst song and worst One Hit Wonder Band of all time.

Next to worst most overplayed-till-I-can't-stand-it-anymore song of all time? Ho-tel California.

:respect: Glad you asked. What's the next question?

sfjohns67
01-07-2004, 17:04
Cool thread! Here are a few of mine, though some are more recent than 1986:

Dead Kennedys: California Uber Alles (Reagan version)
The Cramps: Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?
Black Flag: Slip It In
Rush: Working Man and 2112 (Overture)
Ministry: Jesus Built My Hotrod
Led Zeppelin: The Ocean and Black Dog
Nazareth: Crazy (from the 1st Heavy Metal soundtrack)
Van Halen: Eruption and Runnin With The Devil
Willie Nelson: Blue Eyes Cryin In The Rain
Black Sabbath: Fairies Wear Boots, Iron Man, Warpigs
Blue Oyster Cult: Godzilla, Don't Fear The Reaper, Veteran Of The Psychic Wars
Grateful Dead: Candyman
Allman Brothers Band: Midnight Rider
Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues
Neil Diamond: Sulamon, Cracklin Rosie, Song Sung Blue
Jethro Tull: Locomotive Breath, Crosseyed Mary

Faritova, you forgot "Road to Nowhere" by the Heads, GREAT song!

DJ Biscuit
01-07-2004, 17:13
Started off so well there SFJ and soon deteriorated, Nazerath?

sfjohns67
01-07-2004, 17:18
You ever heard the song to which I refer? It be a far cry from "Love Hurts" believe me.

DJ Biscuit
01-07-2004, 17:23
Nuff said.

What about some CRASS? Or New York Dolls?

peyote
01-07-2004, 17:24
last night i was celebrating the good ole times...

csn&y - woodstock.
jimi hendrix - all along the watchtower. hey joe. star-spangled banner.
bod dylan - rainy day women #12 & 35. like a rolling stone.
the doors - break on through. riders of the storm.
lynyrd skynyrd - sweet home alabama (acoustic version).
the allman brothers band - rambling man.
eagles - (yeah, that one)
bruce springsteen - born in the usa. my hometown.
tom petty - free falling, last dance with mary jane, something in the air.

mood ready for the weekend!

cyclby
01-07-2004, 17:42
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Cool thread! Here are a few of mine, though some are more recent than 1986:

Dead Kennedys: California Uber Alles (Reagan version)
The Cramps: Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?
Black Flag: Slip It In
Rush: Working Man and 2112 (Overture)
Ministry: Jesus Built My Hotrod
Led Zeppelin: The Ocean and Black Dog
Nazareth: Crazy (from the 1st Heavy Metal soundtrack)
Van Halen: Eruption and Runnin With The Devil
Willie Nelson: Blue Eyes Cryin In The Rain
Black Sabbath: Fairies Wear Boots, Iron Man, Warpigs
Blue Oyster Cult: Godzilla, Don't Fear The Reaper, Veteran Of The Psychic Wars
Grateful Dead: Candyman
Allman Brothers Band: Midnight Rider
Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Blues
Neil Diamond: Sulamon, Cracklin Rosie, Song Sung Blue
Jethro Tull: Locomotive Breath, Crosseyed Mary

Faritova, you forgot "Road to Nowhere" by the Heads, GREAT song!
The Sixties are dead man.....ya gotta move on baby, ya gotta move on.

Lady Marmalade
01-07-2004, 18:14
Hey there penguin snacks!!!!! Well, be happy I didn't pop up Video Killed The Radio Star, neither by Buggles, the Mini Pops, nor the remake by Cake. Nor did I post "All Night Long" by Lionel Ritchie. Anyhoot, you should be laughing along for "One Night In Bangkok" come on girl, where's your sense of humour???? A whole song about the world of professional chess, not only that, having it sung by the lead star of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Jesus Christ SuperStar", the guys a pro, not a one hit wonder. Of course... I could be wrong...
And DJ's right, I did not include "Stand and Deliver" by Adam and the Ants, nor Road to Nowhere, shame on me.
And since when did Jethro Tull enter the Retro catagory and not Classic Rock??????? In that case I want to post up "One Fine Morning" by Lighthouse, now there's a Canadian band that should have made it out for just that one awesome song!:p

trebor
01-07-2004, 18:29
peyote
your cooking!
how about anything from:
Santana (especialy "she's not there" originaly by the Zombie's i know, but he does it better)
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones (especialy anything on "Exile on Main Street" or "Sypathy for the devil", Gimme shelter)
"Deja Vu" by CSNY or anything by Neil Young on his own.
Cream
Anyone listen ever listen to the album "Truth" by the Jeff Beck Group. Page and Plant used to follow that band around 'till they formed Led Zeplin.

kot begemot
01-07-2004, 19:47
Originally posted by faritova
It’s a quiet Thursday at this house and I’ve come to the conclusion I’ve heard more Bony-M in taxis in this country on the radio than I’ve ever heard in my life. So I decided to compile and post my top twenty in no particular order of my favorite Retro Songs covering ‘79 to about ‘86 of songs I’d like to hear on the radio!!!!!!!! Not the obvious ones like "Tainted Love", "Oh Mickey" or "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", no Smiths, no Depeche Mode and no Blanc Mange- I’m going for slightly more ecclectic here!

Give Me Hope Johanna and Electric Avenue - Eddie Grant
Burning Down The House- Talking Heads
Mr Roboto - Styxx
Dirty Laundry – Don Henly
Town Called Malice – The Jam
I Touch Myself – The Divinyls
Flesh For Fantansy – Billy Idol
Land Down Under – Men At Work
One Night In Bangkok – Murray Head
Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds
Voices Carry – Till Tuesday
Life In A Northern Town – Dream Academy
Everyday is Halloween – Ministry
Melody – Who is that by anyway?????
Wouldn’t It Be Good – Nik Kershaw
Puttin’ On The Ritz – Taco
One Way or Another – Blondie
Blister in The Sun – Violent Femmes
Bizarre Love Triangle – New Order
The Sun Always Shines On TV – A- Ha
Bette Davis Eyes – Kim Carnes
Rock The Kasbah – The Clash
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Our House - Madness
There’s a start, what do you want on your Retro Station, we’ve got enough countries represented on this site to get a pretty good list!!!!! What should I be downloading off Kazaa???? Caroline

Woah! Total flashback to junior high / high school. Great list Faritova. Those were the days (he says rocking back and forth in his rocking chair, trying to keep the false teeth from falling out along with the grey hair). It was the death of disco and the birth of the "big hair" bands, along with that euro pseudo-punk thing. And the girls all wearing leg warmers. What was that all about? :confused:

pengwn9
01-07-2004, 20:14
Penguin Snacks!!?? Pardone moi, ma'am, you have me confused with some other type of creature. Check the avatar for correct spelling.

And as for your thread....we have the '15 year rule' in my house.
If it was recorded more than 15 years ago I've heard it one hundred million zillion times and never ever want to hear it again!!!

Shall I list the putrid classic rock legends whom I wish would rot and die, for ever making music, for ever plugging in an amp and a couple of guitars? Ok, tempt me.

# Numero uno on the plese eat shirt and die: Rolling Stones.
ditto Beatles--John Lennon can stay, however
Elton John!!! Will someone pleeaase blow his candle?!
Led Zeppelin: Stairway to Hell
Eagles=Fly like turkeys

Notable mention for: Cher, Madonna, AC/DC, Michael Jackson, and nearly any other funerary drek played to death on classic rock statios all over America.

Long live Cold Play!

DJ Biscuit
01-07-2004, 20:20
Pengwn9,

My total respect and admiration, I'm with you all the way there.

Hotel Calif', Yesterday etc....pleeeaaase no!!!

Elton John? How he ever became famous I will never understand, pathetic!

pengwn9
01-07-2004, 20:22
Whoop! forgot to include the King of Crap: Elvis.

How could I have overlooked that kind of sniveling snorker?
Sorry. I'll consider more fully next time. :shame:

Moscow Wolf
01-07-2004, 21:39
The original poster had Madness in there and I thought OK then, I saw NIK Kershaw in there, I wil have to go away and think about this one, but I gaurantee that the Liquidator will be in there, some Al Green, Marvin Gaye, , Brook Benton, George Benson. Are we on a 'All Time Top 10' here, desert Island disks type or sentimental or foot tappers or whatever?

clemens_cis
01-07-2004, 22:57
is it that you all have little taste or you just dont know anything about music?
where is Britney Spears -???

Kshisya
02-07-2004, 12:40
Originally posted by clemens_cis
is it that you all have little taste or you just dont know anything about music?
where is Britney Spears -???

:D:D:D :thumbsup:

earl
04-07-2004, 15:45
What about
Don Henley - Boys of Summer
Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band - Johnny 99, Reason to Believe, The River

And no Prince? He deserves a mention for Purple Beret at least.

pengwn9
04-07-2004, 15:54
:vomit: Prince?? The purple pervert? Thanks for reminding me that he should have been included on my list of barfable musicians whom I wish had never been born and never want to hear from again.

What was that miserable song about little purple corvette--my god how many millions of times have I heard that song *over* and *over* and *over*??? How can you people listen to this stuff for 25 years and not want to put a bullet through your car radio?

cyclby
04-07-2004, 18:02
Originally posted by earl
What about
Don Henley - Boys of Summer
Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band - Johnny 99, Reason to Believe, The River

And no Prince? He deserves a mention for Purple Beret at least.

I think the Beret was Rasberry?

I met Prince in a lift, or almost met Prince I should say, In Minneapolis when the lift stopped on my floor of the Hotel and I went to get on a couple of "big ugly dudes" pushed me back before I could get in and lo & behold there was the man from weird himself dressed in some sort of white skirt thing with shorts and a pink polka dot turban! I just stood there laughing at him as the doors closed.
C

earl
05-07-2004, 09:24
Oops, quite right, the song is Raspberry Beret. I must have been more tired than I thought.

Pengwyn: some of us stopped listening to radio. For starters, most of it is pretty awful (in the US at least.) And with CD players, MP3 players, and satellite radio, why on earth would anyone listen to awful FM programming?

-earl-

pengwn9
05-07-2004, 11:41
Some of us drove vintage clunkers without air-conditioning, power windows, or satellite radios. Yes I know, hard to imagine....

sfjohns67
05-07-2004, 12:26
Just because something gets played to death does not make it a bad song. Yes, we've all heard Hotel California a bazillion times sung in crappy Moscow bars by drunken Russians with laughable accents...but it's still one of the best songs ever written, full of the kind of parable that I can only dream of being capable of writing. And have you ever heard the acoustic set version? Amazing, to say the least.

As for the Stones, yeah they've gone commercial like most everybody else of that era, but hell, give 'em some credit, they spent all their money "way back when" having fun and being the cool (i.e. partying their asses off) stars we the public wanted them to be, now they have to do something to cover their retirement! Ditto for Elton John...all that Lion King soundtrack-esque garbage he's put out does nothing at all to diminish the stature of Yellow Brick Road, which I consider an absolutely brilliant album. I also think the way Norma Jean was marketed after Di's death was/is horrendous. Prince is simply a musical genius, his just-shy-of-Michael-Jackson persona aside. The man can lay down the funk like almost no other (George Clinton does come to mind).

Pengwn9 - you are risking eternal damnation to the flames of hell by blaspheming The King.

peyote
05-07-2004, 12:31
Originally posted by trebor
peyote
your cooking!
how about anything from:
Santana (especialy "she's not there" originaly by the Zombie's i know, but he does it better)
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones (especialy anything on "Exile on Main Street" or "Sypathy for the devil", Gimme shelter)
"Deja Vu" by CSNY or anything by Neil Young on his own.
Cream
Anyone listen ever listen to the album "Truth" by the Jeff Beck Group. Page and Plant used to follow that band around 'till they formed Led Zeplin. santana's first album rocks... and drums... it boils my voodoo blood... ha!
floyd? big fan here... from ummagumma (oh! drop those LSD pills!)to amused to death... everything!
the stones? ah! please to meet you, hope you guess my name :D
csn... deja vu! deja vu!
neil's always rocking in the free world...

ain't singing for pepsi
ain't singing for bud
i don't sing for politicians
ain't singing for spuds
this note's for you

you gotta respect da man!
:D

pengwn9
05-07-2004, 12:36
I stand tall and brave in the face of condemnation by the music gods for my heretical beliefs.

Bring on the thunder and lightening! Queen Lear fears not the anger of the radio programming demographers!

While I'm here, let me add just a few more worn out and threadbare hacks.
Aerosmith.
Lynrd Skynrd
Bon Jovi
Kiss
Eric Clapton
Jethro Tull
Moody Blues
the Doors!!!!
Duran Duran
Sting
Phil Collins

I could go on but I will attempt to restrain myself~~~~

sfjohns67
05-07-2004, 12:42
I don't want to strike you down, but clarify your position for me, will ya? Do you hate these bands based on ALL their material, or based on what they've most recently (a relative term) produced? The only one I truly agree with you on is Bon Jovi - they did suck, do suck, and will suck forever.

peyote
05-07-2004, 12:46
get outta da way! the brits are coming!

radiohead
coldplay
muse

when in doubt check those islanders... unstoppable!

Kshisya
05-07-2004, 13:11
Originally posted by peyote
get outta da way! the brits are coming!

radiohead
coldplay
muse

when in doubt check those islanders... unstoppable!

:thumbsup: damn! finally at least someone making things alive!!! as I already started to think am surrounded by some old farts! :D

:rolleyes: ya know, it is not that hard to "show off" one's good taste in music naming some classics that everybody listens at some point and whos best belongs to when I didn't even exist!:D

better try to name a few from 80s-2004 that still make your heart besat with the rhythm :p

ok am mad with you all ppl for being so boring today...:rolleyes: mine for today would be:

U2 - One, Real Thing
Nirvana - The man who sold the wolrd, Come As You Are
Nine Inch Nails - Suck:cool:
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - yeaaaaaaaaa Californication !:p
Radiohead
Pupl
Dead Can Dance
Jeff Buckly - Grace :inlove: Lilac Wine :drink:

I could name more...but lazy...~grin~

pengwn9
05-07-2004, 13:12
To clarify my position on this sensitive issue:
I'm sick of hearing that stuff. Period.

Yeah, some of it was good maybe the first 2 or 3 hundred times I heard it, but NOW--20 or 25 or 30 years later--I hate it! Enough is enough!#%&@! No more, pleeeaase.

SFjohns, your problem is that you just aren't old enough yet to have heard this force-fed 'classic rock' sufficient millions of times to truely detest it. In another 10 or so years you will know what I mean when Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Dr Dre come on the sound system somewhere and your brain cramps up and your ears hurt and you think "NOOoooo, I can't take it anymore!"

You'll see.

Kshisya
05-07-2004, 13:20
Originally posted by pengwn9
To clarify my position on this sensitive issue:
I'm sick of hearing that stuff. Period.

Yeah, some of it was good maybe the first 2 or 3 hundred times I heard it, but NOW--20 or 25 or 30 years later--I hate it! Enough is enough!#%&@! No more, pleeeaase.

SFjohns, your problem is that you just aren't old enough yet to have heard this force-fed 'classic rock' sufficient millions of times to truely detest it. In another 10 or so years you will know what I mean when Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Dr Dre come on the sound system somewhere and your brain cramps up and your ears hurt and you think "NOOoooo, I can't take it anymore!"

You'll see. :D you got only one choice - listen to Lost in Moscow!:p

peyote
05-07-2004, 13:24
Originally posted by Kshisya

U2 - One, Real Thing
Nirvana - The man who sold the wolrd, Come As You Are
Nine Inch Nails - Suck:cool:
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - yeaaaaaaaaa Californication !:p
Radiohead
Pupl
Dead Can Dance
Jeff Buckly - Grace :inlove: Lilac Wine :drink:

I could name more...but lazy...~grin~ mmm, think i'm starting to like that k-kid... :inlove:

could you please make me a copy of grace? i lost mine from orgy to orgy... :p
pretty please with mango on top? :D
the real mango! not this crap you find here!:mad:

Kshisya
05-07-2004, 13:35
Originally posted by peyote
mmm, think i'm starting to like that k-kid... :inlove:

could you please make me a copy of grace? i lost mine from orgy to orgy... :p
pretty please with mango on top? :D
the real mango! not this crap you find here!:mad:

Everything for Picasso! :inlove: okay i make a copy for you in exchange for yo orgy stories ;) deal?? :p

peyote
05-07-2004, 13:47
Originally posted by Kshisya
Everything for Picasso! :inlove: okay i make a copy for you in exchange for yo orgy stories ;) deal?? :p aauuummmmmmmmmmm!

sfjohns67
05-07-2004, 15:01
Originally posted by pengwn9

You'll see. Sweet Texas mamacita, I hereby profess publicly for all and sundry to witness my debt to you of a big, wet, sloppy kiss for thinking I'm young enough to have been force-fed Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Dr Dre [where's one o them smiley things with the hearts when you need one??!!]. I do like all three of those artists, but, well, I'm of the Journey, REO Speedwagon, Quiet Riot generation.

Me love you long time.

DJ Biscuit
05-07-2004, 15:29
Pengwn9 you just blew it. You actually critisised The Doors. I didn't even know that was possible! I mean Jim is god, this is the Doors for chrissake.

pengwn9
05-07-2004, 17:43
DJDude--Check this out. I actually saw the Doors!

I will admit though, that I was very very young....*sigh*

DJ Biscuit
05-07-2004, 17:50
No! I saw that film too. :D

No really what was that like?

pengwn9
05-07-2004, 17:54
I saw Janis and Hendrix too. Seems to me there is some kind of LSD haze that keeps me from recalling those memories very clearly.
I'm pretty sure I had fun though. I think I remember having fun....

peyote
05-07-2004, 18:26
janis?! hendrix?! lsd?!
ah, the spirits are boiling in the pot and the drums are calling and the dead are dancing and... yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
:farout:

DJ Biscuit
05-07-2004, 19:02
I love you guys!

Kshisya
11-07-2004, 13:11
okay i have to make a confession!!! :eek:
:shame: frankly speaking this is my fav song !!!! ...for this month :D :inlove: :D

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/dingdingdong.html

Teutonic Deity
11-07-2004, 19:00
old and new stuff for the list:

stranglers
psychedelic furs
simple minds
david byrne (talking heads already mentioned)
cake
beck
fun lovin' criminals
portishead
red house painters
eryka badu
the roots
morcheeba
massive attack
stan ridgway
third world
majek fashek