PDA

View Full Version : Croatia - England

DJ Biscuit
08-09-2008, 13:15
Okay, so after a so-so performance against Andorra which left more questions than answers as usual and the Croatian manager Bilic saying England are predictable and not a good team, what are your perdictions for Wednesday's game?

2-1 to Croatia seems a popular one in the press and internet.

Will Rooney finally score for the first time in two years?

Will Beckham play? What about Cole and do the Croatians really ''have nothing to worry about '' as Bilic seems to think?

Gypsy
08-09-2008, 13:29
Okay, so after a so-so performance against Andorra which left more questions than answers as usual and the Croatian manager Bilic saying England are predictable and not a good team, what are your perdictions for Wednesday's game?

2-1 to Croatia seems a popular one in the press and internet. 1- 1 draw.

Will Rooney finally score for the first time in two years? No reason why he should. More likely to be sent off I would think. Let me amend that -if Cole starts Rooney will score.

Will Beckham play? Hope not. He's not up to it.
What about Cole should do, best player the other day by many accounts,and he is a genuine talent. No one else in the england set updoes anything unpredictable.
and do the Croatians really ''have nothing to worry about '' as Bilic seems to think?Not much, no.

DJ Biscuit
08-09-2008, 13:39
Beckham is not the only one not up to it. Take your pick!

I have a feeling he will do something on Wednesday to save the game and get the press unnecessarilly raving about our chances.

Rooney to score, Beckham one assist.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Judge
08-09-2008, 13:51
Tough game,but i'm confident England will get something out of this game..
It's about time Rooney started banging in the goals..

DJ Biscuit
08-09-2008, 13:51
It's not much fun being an England fan but spare a thought for the Italians and French. Imagine how their fans feel today, France get humbled 3-1 by Austria and Italy only manage a 1-1 draw in Cyprus.

Judge
08-09-2008, 14:01
It's not much fun being an England fan but spare a thought for the Italians and French. Imagine how their fans feel today, France get humbled 3-1 by Austria and Italy only manage a 1-1 draw in Cyprus.

Italy scored the winner, 90th min..The Italians were lucky to get the win.

Andy Capp
08-09-2008, 14:18
France i believe have lost their last three games. How dreadful :10518:

Going to be very tough for England i feel. I hope Beckham plays. He's got the experience but i recon he will replace or be replaced by Walcott at some point.
Rooney is not scoring and looks a little sluggish but will come good. He works hard around the box and is a very unselfish player. Perhaps too unselfish.
Heskey for Defoe. He might have a point to prove and i havn't seen much from Defoe in the last couple of games.
Joe Cole to come on from the bench again. He doesn't seem to do as well when he gets a start. If he starts who do we have on the bench as an alternative?

Gypsy
08-09-2008, 14:21

Going to be very tough for England i feel. I hope Beckham plays. He's got the experience but i recon he will replace or be replaced by Walcott at some point.
Rooney is not scoring and looks a little sluggish but will come good. He works hard around the box and is a very unselfish player. Perhaps too unselfish.
Heskey for Defoe. He might have a point to prove and i havn't seen much from Defoe in the last couple of games.
Joe Cole to come on from the bench again. He doesn't seem to do as well when he gets a start. If he starts who do we have on the bench as an alternative?Que???

Good job Zagalo, Carlos Alberto Michels, Schoen and Menotti didn't think like that.

Judge
08-09-2008, 14:27
I'm trying remember the last time England had a convincing victory against a decent team.I think it was the away win against Germany.It's about time England started beating strong teams ,and show the rest of the world that England can play football,the Croatia game could be the first convincing victory on their way to the finals.

Judge
08-09-2008, 14:30

Joe Cole to come on from the bench again. He doesn't seem to do as well when he gets a start. If he starts who do we have on the bench as an alternative?
I agree about Defoe,the guy looks lost.Heskey up front and Rooney running on to his knock downs.

Andy Capp
08-09-2008, 14:33
Que???...................

I'm not convinced Joe Cole will start and neither is Capello if you can believe what you read in the press.
He's come on and played really well as a "super sub" in the past, why change a winning formula?

Andy Capp
08-09-2008, 14:38
I agree about Defoe,the guy looks lost.Heskey up front and Rooney running on to his knock downs.

He gets into good positions but his finishing is woeful. I don't think England are going to get enough chances to waste.

Gypsy
08-09-2008, 14:42
I wish they'd bring back Crouch. I think he's crap but I love watching everyone queue up to say he's got a "great touch for a big man."

Sorry - carry on.

Judge
08-09-2008, 14:47
He gets into good positions but his finishing is woeful. I don't think England are going to get enough chances to waste.

True..

If Defoe can't score against mighty Andorra ,what chance he got against Croatia?Defoe can't head to save his life,he does get in to space but that's about it..Heskey up front,we need someone strong enough to muscle their way in against top defenders.Rooney/Lampard to run at defenders,take them on atleast,more men in the box when we attack,full backs pushing forward.End of the day,hard work is needed.Take the game to Croatia.

Andy Capp
08-09-2008, 14:50
I wish they'd bring back Crouch. I think he's crap but I love watching everyone queue up to say he's got a "great touch for a big man."

Sorry - carry on.

Well give us your line up then and we can queue up and have a pop at it! ;)

Gypsy
08-09-2008, 14:51
Well give us your line up then and we can queue up and have a pop at it! ;)
I can't think of eleven english footballers good enough to play for England.

Gypsy
08-09-2008, 15:00
But if pushed: I'd pick Green and 10 outfield players from the U21's.

If I must pick from the proven failures then:-

Green - Johnson Ferdinand Terry Bridge - S W-P Cole Lampard Carrick - Rooney Defoe

Defoe needs someone to show a little faith in him - he is a natural goal scorer IMO.

I honestly believe that the U21's would do better. The shower they have now are "has beens" and "never weres".

kruno
09-09-2008, 00:15
my prediction is 3-1 for Croatia... we have a good national team, although our national league is quite bad... we are playing better with each match...

the only problem might be a mutual communication within the team... :-)
lots of players were not born in Croatia (Germany, Australia, ...)

but we will see on Wednesday...

Judge
09-09-2008, 00:27
my prediction is 3-1 for Croatia... we have a good national team, although our national league is quite bad... we are playing better with each match...

the only problem might be a mutual communication within the team... :-)
lots of players were not born in Croatia (Germany, Australia, ...)

but we will see on Wednesday...

Good luck, nice of you to say that England might score 1 goal.
Croatia is a hard team to beat at home,England must raise their game.

kruno
09-09-2008, 00:49
we always play good games against strong teams and, as I recall only once has that happened (friendly against Netherlands earlier this year, played in Split), we never loose those games...

we can not play against England without England scoring... impossible... we do not know how to close a game like Italians... they are masters in that... if we try to do that, we could be in big problems...

+ I have read in some earlier posts that Rooney hasn't scored for ages... it is about time...

so, 3-1...

btw... if you take a look at your team only by names, their salaries and your FA, you are stronger min 20 times... you need some spice in your national team football, but that is sth that Capello will not give you... at least I think so...

Andy Capp
09-09-2008, 10:29
we always play good games against strong teams and, as I recall only once has that happened (friendly against Netherlands earlier this year, played in Split), we never loose those games...

we can not play against England without England scoring... impossible... we do not know how to close a game like Italians... they are masters in that... if we try to do that, we could be in big problems...

+ I have read in some earlier posts that Rooney hasn't scored for ages... it is about time...

so, 3-1...

btw... if you take a look at your team only by names, their salaries and your FA, you are stronger min 20 times... you need some spice in your national team football, but that is sth that Capello will not give you... at least I think so...

I've been thinking lately about the old addage that football results don't always go the way you expect.
Croatia have beaten England in their last two meetings. In the back of my mind i was hoping maybe the Croatian players will be over confident.
By the look of the above post i might be having a small punt on England! :11157:

Judge
09-09-2008, 11:20
we can not play against England without England scoring...
Last time you played England you won 2 nil,it wont be the first time you beat us fair and square

impossible... we do not know how to close a game like Italians... they are masters in that... if we try to do that, we could be in big problems...
Italy used to be the masters of killing off games,not anymore,Arrigo Sacchi
put an end to catenaccio.Last world cup Italy played fast flowing offensive football .If i'm not mistaken,Seria A beat the English Prem in most goals scored last season.

True,it's about time he Rooney started to deliver,he did play ok in the last game.

Terry and Rio alone probably get paid more than the whole Croatia team put together.It's a big problem but I say these players should get what they can,it's not their fault that there is so much money in English football.

I've got confidence in Capello,he will bang some heads and isnt scared to drop the big names.Capello doesn't know the word failure,he will get the best out of the players. Capello needs the top prem coaches on his side,being left in the dark about players wont help England's chances of reaching the next World Cup.It's all about team work,from the bottom to the top,everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction.

Here's my prediction... 1- 2 England win.

Len Ganley Stance
10-09-2008, 11:43
Considering that Croatia have never lost a competitive game at home (35 games), I reckon that a draw would be a very good result for England. I'd be very surprised if Capello is anything other than 'cautious' in his approach and will play Rooney up front on his own. I'd also expect Beckham to play because he can change a game through a set piece or a cross but I think that Capello might have shot himself in the foot by not including Peter Crouch in the squad for this game. I'm not a Peter Crouch fan, but I'd reckon that Crouch would be better suited for this game than the other strikers in the squad (that probably means a Heskey hat-trick).

Modric is the real danger man for Croatia.

trebor
10-09-2008, 12:04
...............I'd be very surprised if Capello is anything other than 'cautious' in his approach and will play Rooney up front on his own........

I think more likely Heskey or Defoe up front. I prefer the former. With Rooney a little deeper this time out. I hope Beckham gets the nod and if Cappelo can coax another good performance out of Joe Cole tonight England might have a chance.
Rio could be included the papers are saying. Chances of him being match fit though are uncertain.
Anyway, i'm all set to watch the game in Pattaya! :11581:

Judge
10-09-2008, 23:52
Great first half from England,not letting Croatia play.Capello is finally getting England to play like he wants them..

Now do we defend our lead,old italian style or try and finish Croatia off?
I say finish them off because Croatia will have chances and James could let us down..
Rooney,sort yourself out,pointless foul on the edge of his own box .

Judge
11-09-2008, 00:18
Get in!!!! 2 nil..:celebrate::celebrate:

Man City bid $150 million for Walcott..:eek::eek:

Judge
11-09-2008, 00:20
Roooooooooney you little &*&$%* get in..nice one... 3 0..:10518:

Judge
11-09-2008, 00:38
1 3, should not have been a goal,the guy tried to take Terry's head off..
At times England look like the great Brazil team of 1970..:eek::eek:

England get another 1 4. Walcott gets his first ever hat-trick:applause::applause:

Judge
11-09-2008, 00:53
Great win for England..who would have thought,crushing the 5th ranked team in the world,let in only 1 goal in their last 10 home games and never ever lost at home ..Like I said before,this is what England had to do,show the world that we can be a decent team and beat them well.
Now I only wish for one thing,this isn't Caplleo's 1 5 Germany away like Sven.We all know what happened after we crushed the germans.
The only downer in this game is the fact that if England wants to keep this run going,they will have to find a decent player.James didn't have to make a save but when he was called on,he screwed everything up.

Nice one, 2 games played, 6 points in the bag.The dream starts now.:reindeer:

Len Ganley Stance
11-09-2008, 07:47
Considering that Croatia have never lost a competitive game at home (35 games), I reckon that a draw would be a very good result for England. I'd be very surprised if Capello is anything other than 'cautious' in his approach and will play Rooney up front on his own. I'd also expect Beckham to play because he can change a game through a set piece or a cross but I think that Capello might have shot himself in the foot by not including Peter Crouch in the squad for this game. I'm not a Peter Crouch fan, but I'd reckon that Crouch would be better suited for this game than the other strikers in the squad (that probably means a Heskey hat-trick).

Modric is the real danger man for Croatia.

Excellent win for England and it's just as well that I'm not the England manager.

Gypsy
11-09-2008, 08:55
Excellent win for England and it's just as well that I'm not the England manager.
I don't know -at least you put your ideas up BEFORE the game,unlike most experts who wait until afterwards.

But seriously - Crouch is a donkey. Internationals are won with skill on the ground around the 18 yard box.

Judge
11-09-2008, 10:06
Another of my predictions comes good...Didn't finish 1 - 2 ,but England did win.:bowdown::bowdown:

Later on Mystic Judge will give you the prediction for the Lpool vs Man UTD game..

Trust Rooney to get on the score sheet just before the Lpool game..

Gypsy
11-09-2008, 10:16
I've worked out what happened.

They turned on the Large Hadron Collider at CERN yesterday and it did create a Black Hole as some predicted and we did pass through it into a parallel universe where England are actually good.

The Sheepshaggers even looked quite good last night - QED!

DJ Biscuit
11-09-2008, 11:37
Yes Wales looked a lot better than they did against Azabiajan on Saturday and Russia looked poor, lucky to win it really.

As to England, fantastic win. Couldn't beleive my eyes when I saw the result. I should think Bilic has quietened down a bit now! :)

I hope no one gets carried away but it is a great result, can't deny that.

Gypsy
11-09-2008, 11:40
Yes Wales looked a lot better than they did against Azabiajan on Saturday and Russia looked poor, lucky to win it really.

As to England, fantastic win. Couldn't beleive my eyes when I saw the result. I should think Bilic has quietened down a bit now! :)

I hope no one gets carried away but it is a great result, can't deny that.
maybe he'll consider the Hammers job now - if they haven't appointed Zola already (haven't seen a paper yet)

DJ Biscuit
11-09-2008, 11:51
maybe he'll consider the Hammers job now - if they haven't appointed Zola already (haven't seen a paper yet)

Zola is Hammers' new manager.

Premier League - Zola joins West Ham - Yahoo! Eurosport UK (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10092008/58/premier-league-zola-joins-west-ham.html)

trebor
11-09-2008, 13:11
I'm happy to say i made some money off the England win last night. Not often you can say that! :cheerleader:
Great win. Walcott took his goals very well but Rooney was man of the match for me. He scored and had a hand in all the other goals. His movement and passing were brilliant.
kazakhstan at home October 11th. and Belarus away 4 days later. Should be another 6 points. Great oppotunity for England to take charge of the group.

Judge
11-09-2008, 13:36
England should get maximum points from their first 4 games,and with Ukraine playing Croatia next,a draw would be good for England.

kruno
11-09-2008, 14:14
congrats on the win... you were better yesterday...

trebor
11-09-2008, 14:28
congrats on the win... you were better yesterday...

I'm convinced Croatia were suffering from over confidence.

They had already beaten England home and away the last two times they had met.
They were the over whelming favourites to win last night.
They coasted to a 3-0 win on Saturday against Kazakhstan.
Last week they were named 5th best team in the world.
They hadn't lost at home for 35 matches.

I think last night was a wake up call for them and i think they will recover.

pjw
12-09-2008, 02:43
1 3, should not have been a goal,the guy tried to take Terry's head off..
At times England look like the great Brazil team of 1970..:eek::eek:

England get another 1 4. Walcott gets his first ever hat-trick:applause::applause:Really? YouTube- Garrincha

Gypsy
12-09-2008, 08:24
Entertaining as it always is to watch Garrincha; what is your point?

The post mentioning England's performance was not so wide of the mark, the key to Brazil's 1970 World Cup win was movement off the ball (which creates the extra man) and speed of passing,(to exploit it) all of which England showed on wednesday, even before the sending off.

No one suggested that England were as good as Brazil so why the sarcastic response?

And to counter it, had it even been said, you would really need to post something from Brazil in 1970 - Carlos Alberto's goal in the final would do.