PDA

View Full Version : Arriving at Moscow Airport with 20 BAGS!!!

Skippy
04-09-2008, 07:16
We have left Vancouver (Canada) now and are staying in Ottawa while we wait for our visas. We travelled over with 20 bags, 2 car seats, 2 adults and 2 kids. Arriving in Ottawa with all of this was one thing, arriving in Moscow with all of that is another. My husband and I have now realised we may fall into some problems when arriving with so much baggage and the capability of doing it by ourselves with 2 small children, going through customs and actually getting through without any issues.

Does anyone have any advise. We have thought about shipping half the bags but are not sure who we should do that through. DHL and the like are just way over the top in expense. Or if we can hire someone who can speak Russian to come meet us before we go through customs to help us through this situation.

Any advise would be most helpful as this is approaches rapidly.

Thank you

MissAnnElk
04-09-2008, 11:20
I think we arrived with six very large bags. Two kids. And a cat in a box. No one said a thing to us, even about the cat (although the Customs guys did say something about "Oh, a kittykittykitty!")

Depending on the configuration of your bags, you may just be able to pile it on luggage carts. I don't think the concept of "porter" exists here, but I may be wrong.

To me, the bigger deal (than getting yourselves out of the airport) is getting you and all that stuff in cars/taxis, whatever. Is someone meeting/driving you?

Gypsy
04-09-2008, 11:26
There is a VIP service at the airport. I'd use it in this situation even if it costs what may appear to be a lot.

If you are coming over for work ask your employer to arrange it.

MissAnnElk
04-09-2008, 11:29
There is a VIP service at the airport. I'd use it in this situation even if it costs what may appear to be a lot.

If you are coming over for work ask your employer to arrange it.

Oh! Yes! Thanks, Gypsy.

I believe this costs about 250 euros/person. But in your case it sounds like a very good idea.

AndreyS
04-09-2008, 11:36
Oh! Yes! Thanks, Gypsy.

I believe this costs about 250 euros/person. But in your case it sounds like a very good idea.

I will be carrying you on my back for 250 E.

elis
04-09-2008, 11:57
20 Bags?? Holy cow. First off, can you jettison anything? Also, I even wonder if the airline will let you take 20 bags; if they do, your costs for extra baggage will be pretty steep anyhow.

If you're coming for work definitely ask the employer to send lots of cars! When we arrived here my husband's company sent two cars (we had 4 bags, a cat and a large dog in a crate).

I wonder if you could rent a van at the airport...

Reverend
04-09-2008, 12:00
Wow! You are ambitious! You can hire a porter in the baggage claim area. But be prepared for: a charge at the airport for "excess baggage" even though you've already paid the airline (sometimes Sheremetyevo employees assess their own charge), to be checked at customs, and probably to lose a bag or two due to your own inattention and someone's craftiness.

Do you REALLY need that many bags?

Consider also First Luggage is the world’s leading international door to door luggage collection and delivery service. - Home (http://www.firstluggage.com). Cheaper and perhaps more reliable.

Reverend
04-09-2008, 12:01
Hmmm. Seems the website doesn't like to have web addresses included.

Try the www thing followed by firstluggage and the dot com part.

MissAnnElk
04-09-2008, 12:40
If you're coming for work definitely ask the employer to send lots of cars! When we arrived here my husband's company sent two cars (we had 4 bags, a cat and a large dog in a crate).

We had a small truck come meet us when we arrived in Vienna seven years ago . . . we had 2 big dogs in 2 crates, 2 kids, car seats, etc then.

When we arrived in Moscow, the employer arranged for 2 taxis . . . but sent them to the wrong airport! Oops. It all worked out, obviously, but it was Friday at rush hour . . .