PDA

View Full Version : Business Visa Registration Problem

baumyrae
28-06-2004, 16:12
My boyfriend arrived in Moscow yesterday on a business visa. We tried to go register it today through Maria Travel (the partner organization of the agency which issued the invitation in New York) and they said that if he's staying in a private apartment, he has to have the landlord register him through the Zhek. I don't know if this will be possible, and anyway, no one at the New York agency said anything about this. Maria Travel claims the only other option is to wait until 2 weeks before he leaves (in August) and they will register him through a hotel. Of course that would mean he could have problems if he were stopped by the police before then.

Has anyone had an experience of this kind, and if so, what advice do you have? I am also here on a business visa through a different agency, and they registered it without having anything to do with the landlord.

rosieredwood
28-06-2004, 16:51
It's actually through the local DEZ (Дирекция Единого Заказчика) where the flat is located. You simply have the REGISTERED OWNER of the flat go with you to fill out a заявление. DEZ will only register a person for six months; oh, and you must go to Sberbank after having obtained a receipt from DEZ in order to pay for utilities for the person. Then back to DEZ for the "chief" accountant to stamp and sign the заявление; after which you return to your visa sponsor, who takes the заявление and passport with visa to UVIR, I believe (but it's slipped my mind). Anyway, if it's already past the (ridiculous) three-day maximum working days, you'll also have to pay a "late registration" fine. Yes, it's a royal pain in the derriere.

Surok
28-06-2004, 16:59
tell the travel agency to go register him at a hotel now - why are they saying they have to wait until 2 weeks before he leaves?

if this fails, try - Hotel Asia, I think it's called - they will do it for the appropriate fee :)

rosieredwood
28-06-2004, 17:03
Where's this Hotel Asia located?

Surok
28-06-2004, 17:35
Sevastopolskaya, if I remember correctly - it's a huge concrete thing, more of an obshezhitie than a hotel, with a lot of people from the Caucasus around.

Not the most salubrious of places, but - ahem - relaxed about registration

mitam77
30-06-2004, 00:31
Either go to a dodgy hotel who will stamp your passport for 3 months for a fee or go thro your landlord -which is a lengthy period but official.

mame074
30-06-2004, 04:57
Hi

Same problem. We had to register at a somewhat dodgy hotel. But having done it a few times I can attest to the fact that it works quite well. Fee is $100US...but certainly less than the hassle that will ensure without. If I can help let me know or perhaps someone on this site might be able to be more helpful. Bottom line...my advice...get it done...then relax and enjoy the visit.

smclarnon
30-06-2004, 10:35
What is the cheapest hotel that anybody knows of for this registration service?

baumyrae
30-06-2004, 11:03
Thanks for all the advice. On a friend's suggestion we went to Demlink by Belorusskaia metro- for 50 dollars they're supplying a hotel stamp, however I think it's only for one month and then we'll have to go back and do it all over again.

By the way, I have a 3 month business visa through visahouse, and my registration was included in the cost of the invitation, and I had no problems, just gave them my address here and they registered me for all 3 months. I don't know if they happen to have special powers or something, or if it was because I got my invitation in April, and the rules have since changed . . .