StydyLab        Center PtitCREF «1905»
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Metro Line is Your Favorite Line & Why?

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!

Which Metro Line is Your Favorite Line & Why?

As an Awesome American, I was sooooo surprised and thrilled to find myself in a metro car with AC blasting this morning on the Purple Line I think it was one of the newest models, those "Moskva" cars.

I now live on the Orange line in the South-West, a few stations from the ring line, and I'm amazed how light passenger traffic on the line is. I can sometimes find a seat, and almost always at least comfortable standing room (=usually can find a wall to lean on), no matter the time of day, even at the peak AM rush hour. The cars are sometimes the newer ones, and the tracks are relatively quiet.

Contrast that with my previous abode:

I used to live in the 'burbs near Domodedovskaya Metro, and after a grueling commute from the posyolok to the Metro, what awaited me was a jam-packed Metro car with only uncomfortable standing room available. This was at 7AM in the morning!! And this despite the fact that Domodedovskaya is the second-to-last station on the line :0 Also the quality of the tracks seemed worse, always very loud, which was noticeable in the tunnels and stations - we noticed this in comparison to the Orange Line, when traveling back to visit friends.

Throughout my travels I've noticed other details that are line-specific, such as that the grey line seems to have very few (if any??) of the old metro trains running, it seems to only have the newer generations of train cars.

I also noticed how random stations like Ulitsa 1905 Goda and Polezhaevskaya (Northern purple line) seem to have more people getting off than the others; I'm guessing it's because there's a train station at the latter and many businesses at the former? Polezhaevkaya is always packed going into the center during lunchtime when I'd expect lighter foot traffic; maybe this is because of people coming from Sheremyetevo?? In any case in my daily commute I'll get off the relatively packed Purple Line train onto an Orange Line one at Kitay Gorod, and the Orange line train is practically empty! Go figure.

So which line do you think is best, according to what criteria? What factors (commuter train stations, airport connection points, massive apartment complex buildings...?) do you think make certain lines more/less populous? Why do some lines have the old smelly cars while others (grey line) only have newer ones?

Looking forward to everyone's input. This is must-know information before renting or especially buying!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

Judge (18-07-2017)

Looking forward to everyone's input. This is must-know information before renting or especially buying![/QUOTE]

here a few fun facts about the Metro. and from this link you find more...
    https://friendlylocalguides.com/blog...t-moscow-metro

you can see that the Metro has over 5000 cars. they only started a few short years ago to change the wagons to the new Jauza trains. was a big scandal. up to this day they can not fix the brake system. still squealing when applying the brake. in order not to pi** off the good mayor even more at the inauguration of the first new train, they went into the station so slow they needed nearly no brakes to apply to stop....
    it is hard to say which line is the best when thinking about which trains are best. i like the / special / trains. the one about the war, another one a picture gallery, another one about Russian poets. than there is another one about Kosmos. go to the Metro website and you can find out when and where these trains are running.
    they have now already the 3rd generation /grey/ trains. air con, english and russian langauge announcements, stations written on in both languages. and the little blinking lights over the doors show where you go and where you have been.
    but most important, the Metro runs on time from early morning to late in the night. and at VERY short intervals during rush hours.
    best line? since i use the Metro a lot, no special preferences. they are all good.
    one thing though one should definitely learn. when to use the last wagon, when the first. or the middle one. does make it easier to get out quickly when needed.
    when arranging a meeting in the Metro, it is /custom/ to meet in the middle. if one is not quite sure which exit, or where is maybe a prominent meeting point like there is now.
    and the best about the Metro? for so little money you will find no public transport around the world!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Metro is fast, reliable, cheap and 'flipping' entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH2Qd2bcp-I
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0sKG2gmFo - Только раз бывает в жизни встреча

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (17-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Metro is fast, reliable, cheap and 'flipping' entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH2Qd2bcp-I
    Or just fake news? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpBAYbGQeE

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (18-07-2017), TolkoRaz (18-07-2017)

The Red Line is the best to live on. It goes to all the best places.
    Colluding with Russians since 1995

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Nick, have you just moved, once summer is over and kids back to school usually lines are all full come rush hour.

Since my time here I've always lived along the north orange line, this is the line I fell comfortable on, it's kinda short northbound, I know all stops from ring to North very well....Blue line heading west, I wouldn't enjoy that line in winter, open platforms, cold trains, same going East on blue line.
    Since you mentioned Kitay Gorod, even to this day after using it more times I can imagine, now and again it catches me out when my thoughts are elsewhere, sometimes you do a crossing automatically but on this one you gotta remember orange and purple line mix differently, will be really confusing for many at next years world cup.If I'm not mistaken Kitay Gorod is the busiest station, with VDNKh.

Not to sound like an old fart, but what's starting to annoy me is the bands they have playing at the crossing at Kitay Gorod, where the bust is, loads of people gather round and start filming with not caring about passengers who just want to get home, they block the way, gotta fight your way through the crowd, bloody annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    The Red Line is the best to live on. It goes to all the best places.
    VDNKh or Gorky park? both on orange line.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (18-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    I do believe it was filmed for marketing of the shoes.......
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg0sKG2gmFo - Только раз бывает в жизни встреча

Red and Orange for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post

the old saying still stands/ if something sounds or looks to good to be true, it most probably is......
    one thing is for sure, if anyone would jump in front of a Moscow Metro train, the driver himself would do a flip, but as you showed, he sits there just calmly going on about his business.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Well firstly ....I was really pissed off that I lost out to a bloody Englishman to do the voice over for the station announcements on the trains....
    We are on the Orange line and proud of it ........between Академическая and Профсоюзная .....in fact I love the Metro so much we have this nice painting in our hallway
    unnamed.jpg
    “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vossy7 For This Useful Post:

Judge (18-07-2017), mr krinkle (19-07-2017), nicklcool (19-07-2017), TolkoRaz (18-07-2017), Uncle Wally (18-07-2017)

More love for the north orange line, Olympic stadium ,if you want to watch a concert, it's just few stops away, quick to get home, also the world famous Tretyakov gallery on the line, and few steps out of the same metro head towards the nice chill out area with lots of drinking holes and places to eat nearby.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (19-07-2017), vossy7 (18-07-2017)

I do not understand the admirationfor the orangeline, the red line, the blue line, when the north green line always has seats, is close to downtown,has the best park in Moscow at Voikovskaya.Some of the most interesting faces----seriously,future film directors would be wise to come anywhere on the north green line, after Belaruskaya, to find actors, especially doubles, Ive seen doubles of Assange, Erdogan, George Bush Jr, even a Chechen George Clooney.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finnandcork For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (19-07-2017), Uncle Wally (18-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Nick, have you just moved, once summer is over and kids back to school usually lines are all full come rush hour.

Since my time here I've always lived along the north orange line, this is the line I fell comfortable on, it's kinda short northbound, I know all stops from ring to North very well....Blue line heading west, I wouldn't enjoy that line in winter, open platforms, cold trains, same going East on blue line.
    Since you mentioned Kitay Gorod, even to this day after using it more times I can imagine, now and again it catches me out when my thoughts are elsewhere, sometimes you do a crossing automatically but on this one you gotta remember orange and purple line mix differently, will be really confusing for many at next years world cup.If I'm not mistaken Kitay Gorod is the busiest station, with VDNKh.

Not to sound like an old fart, but what's starting to annoy me is the bands they have playing at the crossing at Kitay Gorod, where the bust is, loads of people gather round and start filming with not caring about passengers who just want to get home, they block the way, gotta fight your way through the crowd, bloody annoying.

VDNKh or Gorky park? both on orange line.

Just try getting from the orange line to the gray line. The red line has a connection to every other line.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Just try getting from the orange line to the gray line. The red line has a connection to every other line.
    True it doesn't pass but you can use the new line MCC, bot sad to vladykino, three minutes ride connecting two northern lines super convenient.
    Your red line doesn't connect to the yellow line.
    Orange line doesn't connect well with blue lines in the centre,but with MCC for us on North orange life just got much easier, I shave 25mins off usual time if let's say I need to go out west on blue line.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    True it doesn't pass but you can use the new line MCC, bot sad to vladykino, three minutes ride connecting two northern lines super convenient.
    Your red line doesn't connect to the yellow line.
    Orange line doesn't connect well with blue lines in the centre,but with MCC for us on North orange life just got much easier, I shave 25mins off usual time if let's say I need to go out west on blue line.

Yeah I haven't used that yet but some friends say it cuts a lot of time off their travels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast