British Lyceum in Moscow        Center PtitCREF «1905»
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the pavements taking over?

Quote Originally Posted by natlee View Post
    I might take a few more in the next few days, if I have the time

I'm only ribbing you. I don't drive, and I got an SUV type stroller for Puki/squeaky/ precious. It's got big fat rubber tires and soft bouncy springs. That thing will go anywhere! But we're out of the center and not much work going on here. Who wants to go out of the house much lately anyhow?
    Colluding with Russians since 1995

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

natlee (17-06-2017)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Talking about change to the city, had a wander round centre today, they are building another bridge parallel to the Bolshoy Moskvoretsky bridge, the massive Soviet hotel they knocked down looks like it's being turned into a new park, remember reading the place will represent the Russian wildness, like tundra and steppe, there's a fancy looking wavey shaped glass roof, massive project, will look awesome when finished, which looks soon cos work was ongoing and lots done.. Probably will be ready for the footy world cup.

Any links to the above project, wanna see what it's gonna look like?

Another place that's getting a facelift is the all russian exhibition center, vdnkh, roads ripped up, scaffolding on all main buildings, entrance...best to avoid for now, KAMAZ trucks and lots of digging.. If want to visit best do so from Bot sad metro, at one of the entrances from that side, there is a city farm, opposite the big pond for fishing ,where you can cook what you catch on site..

http://vdnh.ru/en/events/exhibitions...farm-at-vdnh-/
    Last edited by Judge; 16-08-2017 at 00:15.

Comparing Klagernfurt in Austria (a city of now 100k people,no subway, busses only, no more tram.where i grew up) to Moscow is of course comparing Apples to pears....
    but i remember when the mayor THERE declared they will close the inner city to traffic and make a pedestrian zone. - everyone- and their dog was squealing that it will be the end of the town and it will die. people who come to shop HAVE to drive their cars right in front of the shops... already 5 years later the opposite was the way. we have in the center a huge underground parking garage. and at the more or less outskirts big parking and shuttle busses to the center...no one would even think of allowing traffic back into the city.

once more, when i was a kid still, City Hall decided to make around our beautiful Wörthersee a ring line canalisation. and NO ONE was allowed anymore to let their sewage into the lake.again, they were screaming blue murder. to expensive, who needs it, we only let bath water into the lake... But it was done anyway. Now since many years the lake has EVERY year drinking water quality. no algae blooming in summer. and millions of tourists.

I still remember Moscow when Stockman had one shop, 1st line, at the GUM. when the Metro was indeed 5 kopeks a ride.when around Lushniki or any other big empty place was a rabbit warren of little kiosk. where one could get - fake- anything and -crap and cheap- even more... and when i paid for beef 6 rubles a kilo...things do change, maybe not all for the better, but i definitely like Moscow the way it is now. many things the present mayor likes to take credit for, was done years before him.the - genplan- for Moscow is not a thing that is done in 2 or 3 or 5 years.
    does one remember Tsaritsino, Catherina-s folly castle? fir for rats and bums and junkies only....
    bicycle lanes in Moscow? who needs them...
    Hypermarkets or a supermarket on every corner? ( do wee need them, is another story)
    though i do miss the milk truck who was parking during the cooler season around the corner. where i had to get up at 5 only to be beaten by already 10 babushkas who were waiting already in line to get fresh milk and - tvorog- ( not that there was no milk in the shop. but THIS was milk from the cow and not from the water pipe and chemical factory...)
    I like Moscow the way it is progressing,for better or worse, mostly for the better.i go to the center maybe once every 6 month, always amazed what they have done again.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

I stand corrected to what I said earlier about a new bridge, on closer inspection it is a viewing point over the river.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (10-09-2017)

I have lived in Moscow 28 years, first in the early 80's, then in the 90's and now since 2004.

At first I was skeptical of Sobyanin's project in the center but now I support it, mostly. I used to stay away from public transport but now I use it all the time. Although the sidewalks are widened, illegal parking is much reduced and the traffic flow is better. The city has a number of places to visit that are vastly improved and full of people. Then again, I'm semi retired so I have the luxury of moving around in off peak traffic. I'm sure rush hour is no picnic in a car or on the metro.

The key now is to stop. In all the years I've lived here, the construction seems never ending. The city is now replacing the sidewalk in front of my house for the second time. I hope it's the last time I have to live through the incessant jack hammering. Hopefully once the football is behind us the Mayor will take a breather, maybe give the city a break.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (10-09-2017), FatAndy (10-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by natlee View Post
    I might take a few more in the next few days, if I have the time
    at least one good thing came out of all these digging and building. and the ensuing traffic jams. our good Mayor has decreed that NO digging and closing off parts or the whole road is to be going on during rush hours.
    a few days ago we were driving out on Volokolomskaya. they were digging a trench across the road. laying some thick pipes or cables or god knows what. a cop car was standing nearby. and two cops standing right near the guy with the white helmet. i have never seen in my life construction workers digging and shoveling and closing the trench that fast as on that day.

Today I visited Belorussky vokzal and saw renovated areas in both sides of Leningradka/1-Tverskaya-Yamskaya. Even new tram on the ring near vokzal, and M. Gorky monument. Looks nice.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Today I visited Belorussky vokzal and saw renovated areas in both sides of Leningradka/1-Tverskaya-Yamskaya. Even new tram on the ring near vokzal, and M. Gorky monument. Looks nice.
    took them forever there. the Tram is the end (or beginning) of a line that will connect all the railway stations.
    lets just hope that after the football world cup parts of the now wide pavements will not be re build or opened for parking. it would be a pity indeed.

Many share Natlee's feelings,

Sobyanin has angered many Muscovites by ordering seemingly endless roadworks and renovations across the city, which critics say are aimed purely at enriching government officials and Kremlin-linked property developers.
    Liberal anti-Putin coalition causes upset in Moscow council elections

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dApp_Messaging

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12