British Lyceum in Moscow        Center PtitCREF 1905

Thread: What to do about luggage in new doiuble-decker train cabins?

What to do about luggage in new doiuble-decker train cabins?

(NOTE to administrator: if this post would be better served in a different forum, please move it there.)

I'll be doing my annual trip to Sochi via train in a few days, and it seems that the old train cabins with the ample under-seat or up-top luggage space are history, replaced by the new double-decker ones. Unfortunately, there only seems to be about 23 cm of height under the bottom bunk, which is fine for my skis and some small bags, but I have a few larger bags that won't fit (although they are all soft, and one way or another I could smooth out my stuff to fit, but that would be a complete mess that I would rather not endure). I was very comfortable traveling in those old platskart cabins.

I understand that these new cabins have a baggage storage area in every cabin, but I am unsure if somehow I have to buy a special ticket for that in advance, or perhaps pay something to the conductor when I get there, etc. I figure that with the Russian tradition of folks lugging around those big boxy bags, that has to be some way of accommodation. I was hoping that someone here has had some experience traveling with big luggage in these cabins and could explain this to me.

I was hoping that someone here has had some experience traveling with big luggage in these cabins and could explain this to me.[/QUOTE]

luggage compartment indeed. times and traditions do change....and it is not that you might be able to slip the conductor a few papers, what about your fellow travellers who are sharing your cabin - seats - compartment?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....