StydyLab        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Residency, no more than 6 months out of the country

Permanent Residency, no more than 6 months out of the country

On a permanent residence permit (вид на жительство) you are not allowed to be out of Russia for more than six months. Does anyone know how this is counted? Is six months 180 days? 182 days (half of 365)? is it by calendar date, e.g. December 14 - June 14?

Best to ask at the Pasortnu Stol where the residence permit was issued. Those girls make up their own mind what the rules mean.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (16-02-2017)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    My guess is half of 365, usually who checks quickly flicks through your passport and see the exit and entry stamps, if that person sees many and long time between the dates they will probably get the calculator out.

Don't get too close to 182 days out, play it safe

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    On a permanent residence permit (вид на жительство) you are not allowed to be out of Russia for more than six months. Does anyone know how this is counted? Is six months 180 days? 182 days (half of 365)? is it by calendar date, e.g. December 14 - June 14?
    i have a PRP. and the days are counted from the day of issuing the permit. and not from 1st of January to 31st of December.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

tasel (05-03-2017), tgma (16-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Don't get too close to 182 days out, play it safe
    Agree, but the interesting is how they calculate, example:
    I go out on the 5 of January and return on the same day, that may count as one day?
    I go out on the 5 of January (23:50) and return on the 6 of January (00:10) , that may count as one or two days?
    I do not know, but to me, one must be careful if you have many short trips out, they may summarize faster than what is fun.

Was consideration a job outside RF, just 3 days every week, but I was afraid that the 3 days will be counted as 3+1 even if I was just out less than 3*24 hours, and then we are getting to close to the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Agree, but the interesting is how they calculate, example:
    I go out on the 5 of January and return on the same day, that may count as one day?
    I go out on the 5 of January (23:50) and return on the 6 of January (00:10) , that may count as one or two days?
    I do not know, but to me, one must be careful if you have many short trips out, they may summarize faster than what is fun.

Was consideration a job outside RF, just 3 days every week, but I was afraid that the 3 days will be counted as 3+1 even if I was just out less than 3*24 hours, and then we are getting to close to the limits.
    when i was still on a visa, i got it most of the time in Vienna. got it at 4 pm at the consulate. it was validated only after 3 days. i got it at 4 pm, counted already as one day. next day the whole day was the second day. the plane left than 5 minutes after midnight, that same day THAT counted already as the third day. and the visum was valid.

To be on the safe side I calculate the day I leave and arrive in Russia as a full days out of the country.

If you are out of Russia more than six months per year you lose your residency. You are only allowed to apply for temporary residency once.

I have a spread sheet that I use to keep track of my travel time.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (17-02-2017), vossy7 (02-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    To be on the safe side I calculate the day I leave and arrive in Russia as a full days out of the country.

If you are out of Russia more than six months per year you lose your residency. You are only allowed to apply for temporary residency once.

I have a spread sheet that I use to keep track of my travel time.
    indeed better that way. because one never knows if there will be a delay in/with the transport. and we all know Murphy's law....

You are only allowed to apply for temporary residency once.
    Who told you that? You can get TRP as many times as you want, some people keep getting one after another on purpose when their TRP ends because they don't want the limitations imposed by PRP (for example like having to pay import taxes on your vehicle and get a Russian driver's license, etc).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiancai For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (17-02-2017)

Interesting. Maybe I was misinformed...a Russian lawyer told me, never the best source of info. For me it’s a moot point. Plus getting the TRP is a pain so I admire anyone who gets one after the other. I’ll check it out. What you say is logical though. With a Russian spouse it stands to reason you’d have the right to a TRP...

Plus getting the TRP is a pain so I admire anyone who gets one after the other.
    The process is significantly simpler for CIS citizens, takes about 2-3 months, so they can exit when their TRP ends, re-enter on 90 day visa free period and get a new TRP during this period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    This is what the law literally says:

25 июля 2002 года N 115-ФЗ

РОССИЙСКАЯ ФЕДЕРАЦИЯ

ФЕДЕРАЛЬНЫЙ ЗАКОН

О ПРАВОВОМ ПОЛОЖЕНИИ ИНОСТРАННЫХ ГРАЖДАН
    В РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ

Статья 9. Основания отказа в выдаче либо аннулирования вида на жительство

1. Вид на жительство иностранному гражданину не выдается, а ранее выданный вид на жительство аннулируется в случае, если данный иностранный гражданин:
    11) находится за пределами Российской Федерации более шести месяцев;

THE FEDERAL LAW 115-FZ
    ON THE LEGAL STATUS OF FOREIGN CITIZENS
    IN RUSSIAN FEDERATION
    Article 9 Grounds for refusal to issue or revocation of a residence permit
    1. A residence permit shall not be issued to a foreign citizen, and the previously issued residence permit shall be canceled if the foreign citizen:
    11) is being located outside the Russian Federation for more than six months;

As you may see nothing in the law is written about summing the number of days during the calendar year like it is done with visas (90/180 rule etc.)
    Also please pay attention that the Russian verb “находится” (is being located) is used in the present form, not in the past form! It is very important.
    Thus, this law is understood in such a way that foreigner may be outside Russia during one uninterrupted trip for no more than six months.
    It means that a foreigner in order not to loose its PRP is allowed to go for a trip outside Russia for 6 month, then she or he must come back to Russia at least for one day, then she or he is allowed to go for another 6-month trip outside Russia, then again she/he must come back to Russia at least for one day.
    The number of such trips during the calendar year or during the term of validity of PRP (5 years) is unlimited.
    So it practically means that the owner of PRP may spend 5 years abroad going for a round the world trips with the only condition to come back to Russian territory at least once every 6 month + to make annual filing of notice (form 21) confirming the residence and income.
    This position was confirmed by an inspector in Kirpichnaya FMS office about 3 years ago when I had a visit there for official consultation and asked the above question about permitted absence outside Russia.

That is it.

So have good trips as many as you want during the year but just not longer then 6 months each!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosstis For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (28-02-2017), tasel (05-03-2017), tgma (16-06-2017)

Thank you, rosstis. That's helpful. So the law is ambiguous as to how 6 months is calculated. Probably, like many things, it will depend on the person doing the paper work as to how they interpret it.

Are you sure this is true? Iíve given a document showing how many days Iím in Russia every year to extend both my PRP and TRP along with an income statement. It needs to show Iím in Russia six months out of every year, not visiting for one day out of every six months.

Important to know this. Will follow up.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

vossy7 (02-06-2017)

I am in the first year on PRP and really wanted to ask the same on the forum....Which one is true as of now?

* 183 days of 365 days From the date of issuance of PRP
    * 183 days in total in any calendar year from Jan 1st to Dec 31st
    * Can stay out less than 183 days at a time and leave again after compiling with annual filing for Income and Residence. ( of-course the most convenient, but hard to believe)

Please keep us updated on current rule ...
    Last edited by Indorus; 02-03-2017 at 17:26.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast