International School       AECA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Asian spices

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Food Asian spices

    I am wondering how widely Asian spices, vegetables and products are available in Moscow. I have been living in Bangkok and will be moving to Moscow soon - I want to know if you can get fish sauce, fresh coriander, chilli etc etc in Russia???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    up to my ears in whipping cream
    Posts
    494
    Thanked: 0
    You can readily find things like fish sauce, chillies, fresh ginger, limes, fresh coriander fresh coconut, dried noodles, canned coconut milk. However, you will struggle to pick up things like galangal, lime leaves, and lemongrass, although Trebor/Benedikt (members here) always seem to have secret supplies from somewhere. There are a number of Thai restaurants here in the city and people there may even be good enough to help you source a few of the more exotic ingredients.
    It's hard to look innocent when I got cookie crumbs all over my face

  3. #3
    Voodoo is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    277
    Thanked: 0
    The best bet for general spices is www.indianspices.ru Good for sauces (including fish sauces), dry ingredients and spices. Fresh coriander, chilli, and other basic stuff you can get anywhere. However, for obvious reasons getting hold of fresh Asian ingredients is going to be a massive headache. As lochnessmonster says above your best bet will be to speak to the Thai restaurants here and find out where they get their ingredients from. I know that some of them need to fly in ingredients from Thailand on a regular basis.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,053
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    The best bet for general spices is www.indianspices.ru Good for sauces (including fish sauces), dry ingredients and spices. Fresh coriander, chilli, and other basic stuff you can get anywhere. However, for obvious reasons getting hold of fresh Asian ingredients is going to be a massive headache. As lochnessmonster says above your best bet will be to speak to the Thai restaurants here and find out where they get their ingredients from. I know that some of them need to fly in ingredients from Thailand on a regular basis.
    As Voodoo says, check the indianspices.ru. They have two shops, one in the south west region of moscow just 15 min. walk from metro and the other in the garden ring just outside the metro called Suhareevskaya (сухаревская).
    But for fresh corriander and chilli check the local markets (but the chilli is not hot enough).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0
    I think you can also find some spices and interesting sauces in expensive supermarkets, somewhere downtown. Stockmann is very good, but now it is located outsied of Moscow (in Mega).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    moscoq
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0
    there is a shop near yugozapadnaya that sell asian spices.. from lime grass to tom yam paste..
    so dont worry..
    u can get everything you want in moscow..
    the problem is whether the price is reasonable for u or not..

  7. #7
    Voodoo is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    277
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by boya View Post
    there is a shop near yugozapadnaya that sell asian spices.. from lime grass to tom yam paste..
    so dont worry..
    u can get everything you want in moscow..
    the problem is whether the price is reasonable for u or not..
    Fresh lemon grass?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Белокаменная
    Posts
    1,912
    Thanked: 0
    I have seen fresh lemon-grass in Perekrestok and Azbuka Vkusa. Supplies seem to be a bit erratic. They also (sometimes!) sell a complete "pack" of Thai spices and herbs, usually filed with their packeted salads.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    moscoq
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 0
    not the fresh one..
    but the dried lemon grass...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Moscow Russian Federation
    Posts
    994
    Thanked: 0

    Most of these spices + foods are a available

    Pm me and I will try to help tell you where to go

    Most Rhinoks have most spices

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    17,317
    Thanked: 83
    Exactly. Go to nearest rynok and search for kiosk/table/tent with spices (специи и приправы).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 0
    there's no way you find exotic (for russia) spices and vegetables at local rynok. Yes, sometimes there are lychees or mangos on the stand, but trust me you don't want to eat them...
    For FRESH lemongras, spinach and so on I recommend STOCKMANN. btw prices are not that high at all, and comparing with AUCHAN... well all I want to say is that I'm willing to pay extra 20 for quality.
    good luck with cooking, guys))!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 0
    Hi,im malaysian and its actually not easy to find all the asian vegie and product here,but spices as they said you can easily obtained from indianspices...got few shops,i think vietnamese selling asian product,at green line metro south part,i forgot the name..but if you want the proper and fresh one,perekrestok and auchan always got sell quite few products,but the problem is the price will be alot,yes, a lot higher...anyway it's moscow,and nothing comes cheap here=)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kandalaksha
    Posts
    361
    Thanked: 0

    The Vietnamese Market in Mar'yina Rosha

    That's my choice place to get cheap/fresh Asian stuff. From what I recall links are not allowed from here. Try "vegetarian+Asian+food+Moscow+Russia" in Google. To-fu is 30 roubles for a large brick and the freshness/overall quality is much superior to Moscow's "official" supermarkets. Thai peppers work out to about one rouble each. I found genuine stinking bamboo after 15 years without the stuff! The exact address is 17-й проезд Марьиной рощи, дом 11. Hope that reads.

    Pasha

    PS. Discretely ask for rice vodka and you'll learn the meaning of happiness.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Msk
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by karenski View Post
    I am wondering how widely Asian spices, vegetables and products are available in Moscow. I have been living in Bangkok and will be moving to Moscow soon - I want to know if you can get fish sauce, fresh coriander, chilli etc etc in Russia???
    Of course you can. Try to go to Azbuka vkusa or Dorogomilovsky runok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •